• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Wintering over in the U.P

Hello, I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and we recently had a freak frost the first week of Sept. Lost most leaves on around 1/3 of my plants! Got me thinking (Much to early) about wintering over a number of my plants. I've got a handle (after researching this topic here) on pruning and dealing with cutting back roots. My question is regarding how cold it gets here. I've got a lot of room in garage, but it can get into the 20's and lower in there from time to time. Well, depending on the winter, it has the potential to be a lot. Covering with something, burlap might help? Option 2: Basement, again plenty of room. Not much light and stays between 60 - 65F during the winter. Is this to warm? Do I even need much light? Any Help/Suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Buck

Hey Buck,

A little south of you in Milwaukee, I would opt for the basement. Last year I cut them back and put them in the basement, all of them came back except for the one the cat decided was his scratching post. Garage temps will kill em.

Good luck,

Chad

Back