• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

With Sulfur you get 'Triple Bang for your Buck'.

I'm a big fan of Sulfur for it's many uses and practical applications.
I use it in both Powdered form and Granules.
In the past few years I'm buying Tiger Brand which also has great Blood Meal, Bone Meal, etc. at decent prices.
I like Sulfur as a fertilizer, but it's also effective with some types of Rusts, Leaf Blights, Powdery Mildew etc.
I always dust it on my young tomato plants for this reason.
Sulfur is the enemy to Spider mites, Thrips and I think a few other pests.

On the Tech side...
Sulfur ia a readily available souce of Sulfate for Pepper Plants, Tomato Plants, etc.
When applied to moist soil it gets oxidized by your soil micro-organisms and becomes Sulfuric Acid which is gobbled up by your plants.

We had an article written on Pepper Joe's in Organic Gardening Magazine maybe 25 years ago and we mentioned "tossing a few packs of matches (sulfur) into your Pepper transplant hole and spraying your Plants with Epsom salt every two weeks for a shot-in-the-arm of Magnesium". It's just as true today as it was back then. As a matter of fact Homer loved Sulfur and stressed it's virtues 3,000 years ago.
I've grown Bell Peppers as large as small Cantelopes with this one-Two approach.
Hey, it might sound like I have stock in a Sulfur company, but I don't.
:)
I just like to stick with the winners, even if they are the basics.
I use some new stuff like Biota Max that adds beneficial Bacteria and Fungi to my soil and containers...and man, what a difference in the Root mass...on my Radish's the root mass was larger than the radishes.
I also like Liquid Foliar Fertilizers.
Lately, I've been combining my Liquid Foliar Spray (from Sea Rich...it's a 3-2-2 fertilizer)with Epsom Salt and Sulfur and applying every 2 weeks.
Our Chile plants love it.
This Container grown Ghost Pepper produced over 200 Ghost Peppers with this spray.
Huge%20Ghost%20Pepper%20Plant%20in%20container.jpg

Great Gardening,
Pepper Joe

From my experience chiles don't really need a lot of sulphur but I like to use both sulphur and copper based fungicides in rotation, especially early on with tomato plants for a preventative measure against fungal problems like blight.
Many people around here have high sulphur levels in their well water, and I've never seen this as any real advantage for plants. You also want to make sure when adding sulphur that you don't overly acidify

From my experience chiles don't really need a lot of sulphur but I like to use both sulphur and copper based fungicides in rotation, especially early on with tomato plants for a preventative measure against fungal problems like blight.
Many people around here have high sulphur levels in their well water, and I've never seen this as any real advantage for plants. You also want to make sure when adding sulphur that you don't overly acidify your soil

When I test my soil the PH balance is great. I do add Wood Ash and Sawdust (untreated) to keep a good Alkaline ratio.
Sulfur is one of those things that you don't miss until it's gone.
The Bahiagrass in Florida that Cow's graze on has become deficient in Sulfur causing mineral imbalances in the cows.
Here's a pic of Canola that is Sulfur deficient.
sf1122-5x.jpg

Iron is another good example.
Spinach has a fraction of the Iron that it had back in the 1940's and 50's because of the chemical farming approach that depletes essential minerals from the soil with extensive farming and doesn't replace it.
That's why I'm sticking with a Natural, Organic approach for my Veggies and Fruit Trees.
Pepper Joe

thanks for the tip Joe, i never really concerned myself with sulfur. when looking for store bought fertilizers i would always check for iron, magnesium, copper and boron but assumed the plants would get sulfur through a sulfate of sorts. so, i just checked all my store bought fertilizers and the only one that contains sulfur is iron green....and i don't use it.

that will give me something to research today to see how i may incorporate sulfur in my plant's diet.

Be real careful with sulfur in the ground it will stop fermentation and sterilize the ground around your plants = you will need more nutes and fertilizer to keep your plant going. I would use very little of it. if at all.

Back