• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wiwi pepper. Anyone heard of it?

I was at the brooklyn botanical garden's chili pepper fiesta last weekend. At one stand they were selling a small (roughly 1 centimeter in diameter), red pepper that they were calling a "wiwi pepper." It's very hot and flavorful. It reminded me very much of a bode chili. I searched for info on-line, and came up with nothing. Anyone have information on it, or ever heard of it?

thanks! you guys are awesome. i also just realized i should have posted this in the pepper I.D. forum. sorry about that. newbie mistake.

i grow it every year its another of my favorite

first tried them with some Gayanese friends

thanks your friend Joe

Are they really that small? I have a plant I labeled Wiri Wiri but the siz makes me think that its a Chiltepin another I was growing at the same time. Not sure if I messed up the tags. I ate a pepper yesterday that tasted like a piquin with a fast heat - I thought Wiri Wiri were larger and more citrus-ier

coincidentally enough, one of my guyanese coworkers gave me some dried up pods earlier this year and told me to try growing them (haven't planted them yet). I showed her the wiri wiri peppers i bought, and she confirmed those were the same as the seeds she gave me.

i'm not sure what kind of chiltepins i have, but the wiri wiri pods are only slightly bigger on average. It would be pretty easy to confuse the two. The chiltepins my friend grows actually have a more citrus flavor than the wiri wiri. It's hard for me to describe, but the wiri wiri has a more fruity taste. I'm really loving the taste.

Back