• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Wonder Soil -- have you used it?

I didn't have a grow last year after about 4-5 years of growing peppers.  I'm getting back into it this year, but trying to simplify some things.  I had been using Ocean Forest for soil in the past with a variety of fertilizers/additions that all probably worked fine.  This year I bought some Wonder Soil (basically it's coco coir with a small amount of other "stuff" in it : http://wondersoil.com/soil.php?see=aboutus) just to try something new and not have to haul around as many bags, and to save some money.  I got free shipping on it, which was awesome since each block is compact but makes about 2.5 cubic feet of soil and probably weights about 10-12 pounds each.

So anyway, has anyone used this?  Can you offer any advice since this will be the first time I'll be using coir as a medium?  I was just thinking about using it straight, but it does retain water quite a bit.  I originally thought about adding some perlite when I noticed how much water it retained but decided not to since the additional water retention would probably help in the Texas summer so I'm not watering twice a day (lol).

I'm also thinking of using just using some Jobe's Organic 2-5-3 fertilizer during the growing season (https://www.amazon.com/Jobes-Organics-Vegetable-Fertilizer-Granular/dp/B002YOJDAS).

Any concerns or advice regarding using pure coir for an outdoor non-hydroponic grow?  Like I said, I'm just trying to keep it simple and am new to using coir. :)

Thanks!

I haven't used WonderSoil, per se, but I have a lot of experience with coco coir.
I wouldn't use the Jobe's, as it's too low in Nitrogen.  I've tried to put a lot of people on the road to using CNS17 Grow (liquid nutrient) with their coco coir, because it's a calcium based fertilizer.  Meaning, you'll never have to add a separate product for calcium.  Coco based media are notorious for needing calcium, else they lock up Potassium.
My personal favorite system is 3 parts coco coir, 1 part perlite, and 1 part aged rabbit manure. (or 1/2 part worm castings, if you don't have rabbits)
I also like to use this in a "Hempy" style bucket.  Basically, a 1/2" hole drilled 3.5" up from the bottom on the outside of the bucket.  Fill to just above the hole with perlite, the rest of the way with your mix. (in your case, Wonder Soil + perlite)  Use the CNS17 Grow all season long, at a ration of 1 Tbsp per gallon, at least once a week, but at a minimum, every other watering. (whichever comes first)
31766537104_c14c37b4c3_z.jpg

31537584976_69a0fe8c97_z.jpg

I used the wondersoil wafers for starting my seeds this year. I'm not sure how it would fare for a long term growing medium. It worked very well for starting seeds, but at the same time, my plants seemed very happy to be transplanted from that to some amended potting soil. If you're committed to amending it with some compost and perlite it would probably serve you well, but I don't think I'd recommend just using it straight.

Thanks guys.

Solid7, I have a few Root Pouches I still have to use up, so I'm going to use that for pots this year, but I'm going to try out your hempy bucket on maybe 1 or 2 plants just for kicks.  I've grown in buckets in the past, but they always flop over in the wind once the plants get full-grown and I don't really have a place to tie them down.  As for the CNS17, I've used Botanicare's Pure Blend Pro Grow in the past for my soil plants and had no complaints with it.  The plants did well.  I'll try CNS17 out... just ordered some. :)

newbiepepperguy, I just transplanted some of my seedlings into slightly bigger containers with pure Wonder Soil.  We'll see how they do in there.  The only reason I'm attempting to use it straight is I've seen a friend have success with it.  I really want the coco to retain more water because of the heat down here during the summer and I think the coco has enough "breathability" without adding more perlite.  I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.  Now you guys have me thinking about not going straight coco.  Maybe I'll do some pots straight and a few with a mix. lol.  Nothing like some not-so-scientific experimenting. :)

Thanks again.

FlameThrower said:
 I really want the coco to retain more water because of the heat down here during the summer and I think the coco has enough "breathability" without adding more perlite.  I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.  Now you guys have me thinking about not going straight coco.  Maybe I'll do some pots straight and a few with a mix. lol.  Nothing like some not-so-scientific experimenting. :)

If it's any help, I've already done that.  My results said keep the perlite.  If you choose to go no perlite you might want to screen the coco, to get the small particles out.

Back