cutlery Wood Cutting Boards, Anyone?

Who uses a wood cutting board, and how do you keep it hygienic?

I've been on a path of narrowing out all of the plastics in my kitchen, going towards things that are all glass, stainless steel, or cast iron. Now, I'm not wearing a tin foil hat and trying to get rid of everything synthetic.. Some very useful cookwares are teflon or silicone and there are no replacements. But, to the extent that I can get away from plastics, I'm trying to do that.

So, I just bought my first wood cutting boards. Actually, they are bamboo, which..I don't know if that's good or bad, but they checked the affordability box?!

Question is...how do you guys maintain these things? I've seen people spray and wipe them down after use. What is that? Or, what do you use? Is there a kind of common authority on the matter you can point me to?

Thanks!

Alex

Question is...how do you guys maintain these things? I've seen people spray and wipe them down after use. What is that? Or, what do you use? Is there a kind of common authority on the matter you can point me t

We have hardwood boards & use Coconut oil.
However for Bamboo boards it's different.

Cutting veggies, I just give it a good wipe down afterward - not anything special. If I cut meat, i spray it with a vinegar solution (with a little soap) and then wipe it dry after a couple minutes.

I refinish it with mineral oil maybe once a year, and maybe 7 years ago or so I sanded it and refinished.

That's a heavy end-grain board though. Bamboo probably needs a little more care but even the one of those I have doesn't get a lot more treatment.

Keep in mind that coating a wood board like that will reduce its antimicrobial properties as it seals the grain.

Thanks folks.

Funny story, I made a rather nice cutting board in high school shop class. A really thick final product that was a checkerboard pattern of opposing grain walnut and maple squares. It's a shame, I didn't appreciate this stuff back then and ended up giving it away to a teacher at the school who'd done me a solid with my final grade in their AP class, lol.

Back