misc Woozy cap liners

Hi All,

Are cap liners necessary for bottling hot sauce in 5oz Woozy bottles? I was hoping to get a 3 to 6 month shelf life before opening.

I ordered some 5oz bottles, reducers, and caps online. The service was great. I ordered in the morning and it was shipped that afternoon. After re-reading some of the threads here, something was mentioned about caps with liners. I called the place that I ordered from and they said that they don't ship lined caps when people order hole reducers. The young lady said that customers have complained about the caps not closing properly with reducers and lined caps.

I received my order yesterday. I now have 16 caps with no liners. Can I use them? The ironic part about all this is that I picked this particular company because the shipping was cheaper. I now will probably have to order new caps and pay more shipping. Thank you.

Edward

You are fine to use the caps without liners with the reducer. It will also work with just the unlined cap and bottle, but I prefer lined caps if not using a reducer.

Sterilizing caps is not necessary when using the Hot Fill/Hold method of processing.  Details in Making Hot Sauce 101.

Sorry this is for a cold fill.  Don't want the bleach to get caught under the liner which is why we're thinking about the no-liner.  Haven't tested to see if the sauce would leak out of the bottle w/out the liner in place.  That would be the next thing if the no-liner/cold fill thing worked.

If you use the reducer, the cap will seal tight.  Without the reducer, it shouldn't leak if the cap is really tight, but you won't have a vacuum seal with the cold pack.  Not knowing your recipe or any of the ingredients, I'd strongly suggest keeping it refrigerated if it's cold packed. 

Back