• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Worried about losing my boys this winter.

A little back story. I am Harold and I live in Fresno (Search you-tube, 'Tastes like Fresno' and skip to the 2:00 mark). I am not a gardener, I am a retired transit operator (bus driver, but the other title pays better) with a history of killing house plants. I currently live in an apartment off my daughters garage, behind which is an 8' by 60' dog run that I have for a garden.
My daughter came back from vacation with a seed kit from Avery Island, Tabasco peppers. Grow us something to eat, she said. It'll be fun, she said. I planted 8 seeds in 8 peat buttons and got 8 plants (this is Fresno). I gave 7 away and the 8th went into her house. For a year. She brought it back. It's not growing, she said. It's not giving me peppers, she said. That's not fun, she said. So I put it out on the patio in a pot as big as my ex-wife’s uh, biggest pot and loved on it a bit. Fed it, pruned it, and turned it so it got sun on all sides.
3 or 4 months ago I was looking, on this site, for a solution to a problem of leaf curl (2 types) and some spots on some leaves. I found a large paragraph by a guy that seemed to know what he was talking about that took care of the problems, for the most part. I swear, I saved that page to my favorites but now I can't find it. He spoke of treating an older potted pepper like it was in a hydroponic garden. I went to the local pot growers supply store and they sold me 3 quarts of General Hydroponics nutrients and the plants all love it. I have 4 plants now, 3 are a year old and 1 is 2 years. In a 4 gal water container I mix 1 milliliter of each and a double shot of 'Fish and Poop' and feed them 2 or 3 times a week. They are watered every day and when the temp is over 100, twice. The instructions that came with the seeds and everyone else says these peppers want and need 5 hours of direct sun a day. But this is Fresno and 5 hrs. of sun here, at 105+ temps, would kill them. I moved the big boy under a white canopy to cure the spots and he is getting no more but also is giving very little fruit compared to the plants on Avery Island. I plan on moving him over with the other three, they get about 3 or a little more hours of mid-morning sun that is cut off by shade from a tree and they are doing well and give a little more fruit.
I invite you all to tell me what I shouldn’t be doing, what I can do better, and what I am not doing that I should be. I freely admit my ignorance and that what I have done was with the advice from this site and the guys over at the 'Super Roots Hydroponics' store.
I plan on these peppers wintering over but not sure what to do. Should I prune them back and if so how much? The temp here mostly doesn't get below 28 degrees and I have a covered porch with a corner for them that I can put up some plastic sheeting. How cold can they get and live?
d2VbF1s.jpg

I forgot (I do that a lot). Do I have to be a paying member to post pictures? I can't find a list of thing available to free members.  

Yeah you can post pictures! and You Tube vids etc. for pictures, you need a host site like PhotoBucket or Flicker.
Upload your pictures to there (they are free host sites but you need to sign up), and link the photo to here.
You can link you tube videos directly to here.

About all that other stuff, I dunno man, it doesn't sound good... :rofl: just kidding lol
I am not a grower, there are far more smarter people than me about that stuff.
Sounds like you are doing all the right stuff.

Down here in Mediterranean California, a lot of plants will overwinter better than the low temperatures would suggest, because it still gets warm during the day.  The Central Valley probably isn't *quite* as forgiving, but I bet your plastic-sheeting idea would keep them going; or you could pull the containers inside for a few weeks in the bleak midwinter.

-NT

I am going to try to show what I have done.
g1HBnmN.jpg

The white top is my daughters food service canopy (Kettle corn) and is my home made green house. On the right is my four boys whose lives I am trying to save.
RJLpCk3.jpg

Half way through the set up.
zQcMjLt.jpg

Here they are all settled in. This canopy has screening on the top half of the sides so I have added 3.5 mil plastic on three sides. The fourth side will be installed on the day it is going to get really cold.
pI97hGV.jpg

I moved my coffee pots out to the green house. I drink most of my coffee out here anyway. The question is, How cold can I let it get in there and for how long before my boys die? How much must I cut them back?
RDCP6ME.jpg

Please, Look at these leaves. Am I not watering them enough? Maybe more food?
U7K2Uhi.jpg

Thank you all for the information I have found around the site.

4:30 AM and 36 degrees going down to 34. I wonder if they will live. Light and heater are on but I don't have a thermometer.

Back