• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Would anyone want to help with a seed project this year?

So there is this guy on YouTube called The Best Garden Channel. I have no connections to him what so ever, but I have received seeds from him in the past. And what he does is send out seed packs to people that subscribed to him and request them. I think that's great, my pepper journey started with people offering me seeds on reddit, that lead to me asking growing questions that in turn lead me to here.

I'm not sure of the quantities, but I would assume at least 100-200 packs maybe more. Obviously the people watching probable don't want anything too crazy. But I was thinking maybe we could get maybe 5 people to grow 1 seed variety each to send in. We could decide on the varieties, commonish stuff. Maybe a variation of Jalapeno, Habanero, stuff like that.

Would anyone want to help or is this a dumb idea? I obviously would grow a variety just for this. I'm not sure if he needs each pack sorted and labeled or if he just wants a bulk bag. I would think that having the packs sorted and labeled would be best since it would save him some time, but not sure if anyone would want to join in that task.

This is his channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6saCDYBalAev_RFmDCVvA

I'm down. I haven't been here long, I'm mainly a lurker but I've learned a ton from THP, and it's about time I give back. I'd love to contribute and become more of a giver than a taker.

Update he replied and said that would be great, just trying to get the details and quantity needs down now.

Anyone have any ideas for varieties?

Scotch Bonnet
Jalapeno (Mild, Early, Lemon Spice, Farmers Market, Biker Billy?)
Habanero Chocolate
Biquinho?
Tabasco?
Cayenne?

If anyone has any experience with tomato harvesting feel free to help as well, I just have never saved those because of the process.

Any specifics for this grow?
Are we just growing out one variety each, saving seeds and shipping them back when dried out?  
I think I need more info.

Hawkins said:
Update he replied and said that would be great, just trying to get the details and quantity needs down now.

Anyone have any ideas for varieties?

Scotch Bonnet
Jalapeno (Mild, Early, Lemon Spice, Farmers Market, Biker Billy?)
Habanero Chocolate
Biquinho?
Tabasco?
Cayenne?

If anyone has any experience with tomato harvesting feel free to help as well, I just have never saved those because of the process.
I ferment tomato seeds every year.  Would be happy to help.  

Tybo said:
Any specifics for this grow?
Are we just growing out one variety each, saving seeds and shipping them back when dried out?  
I think I need more info.
Not really, other than nothing crazy hot.  If you could isolate that would be a plus, I think I'm going to plant about 6 plants of something on the other side of the property or at a friends house. But I don't expect people to do that, and realistically the changes of cross pollination are actually really low naturally contrary to popular belief.

Harry_Dangler said:
I ferment tomato seeds every year.  Would be happy to help.  
That would be great, he normally gives out slicers, so a nice cherry like the Black Cherry would be great. I can purchase and send you some seeds for it if you would like?

Also I'm going to email him tomorrow with the people we have down to help so I can figure out the quantity he needs of each.

Hawkins said:
That would be great, he normally gives out slicers, so a nice cherry like the Black Cherry would be great. I can purchase and send you some seeds for it if you would like?
I've got seeds for Black Cherry.  I'll get it in the plan.

So maybe I was a little off, he projects 500 for next year. so at least 5,000 seeds.

Even if you aren't able to do that many, every bit would help. He did mention that pre packaged would be preferred but he has no problem doing it himself.

I use a dymo labelwriter and buy 750 labels off amazon for like $8. I could print the labels and send them out if you guy's had your own bags. I use like 1.5 x 2 bags I think. They are pretty cheap as well, I bought 1,000 for like $15ish last year. We could do a group purchase and split if you all would be down, probably about $10 a person is what it would cost to label and bag everything, besides time. I understand if people wouldn't want to put in that much time. Just the seeds a lone would be a big help I'm sure.

ADRUNKK said:
How many seeds per person? It's going to take a lot of plants or many harvests if we're looking like 500 to a 1000 seeds per person.
I would say at least a 1,000 that way worst case we could do mixed packs. I'm sure he'll also shout out thehotpepper.com as well.

Hawkins said:
I would say at least a 1,000 that way worst case we could do mixed packs. I'm sure he'll also shout out thehotpepper.com as well.

Wow, I jumped in too quick without knowing the details.  I won't be growing enough of one variety to get at least 1000 seeds.  I better back out now.
Sorry.

Hawkins said:
I'll try my best. It's gonna be a lot of work to deseed enough peppers to get a thousand seeds and dry them properly. I have 4 purple jalapeno's that have sprouted, but who knows where that goes for now. I don't have any faith until i get them outside and hardened off. I'm still in but I cant guarantee a 1,000 seeds, but will do my best.

Back