• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Would these seeds be good?

If I was to order some fresh pods (wanting to get the seeds) and it took 60 days to get to me, would the seeds still be viable in these pods when I got them?

It depends how badly or not the pods fared. If they turned to mush and got moldy, then no. If they are fine, then maybe. 

What seeds are you looking to get?

The pods would most likely be moldy on the inside of the pods if the pods are sent out to you fresh. If the pods are dried prior to sending to you. The seeds would be good.

Yeah, 60 days is too long - agree they would likely be moldy inside and out. I'd suggest you ask for seeds if that's all you're really after. Tell them your circumstances and concerns, and let them know you'll pay for the pods if they'll be willing to deseed and just send the seeds. I'm assuming you have already looked here in the U.S. and haven't found what you want.....

Yeah that's a long time. Idk because I'm no pro either.. IMO I'd imagine pods in the wild fall off, mold and grow. Personally i wouldn't try it but that's just me.

Sorry to be of no help.
Mike

So no one here has never planted seeds from a moldy pod? Hard to imagine around here. These guys have tried about everything. Lol

smileyguy697 said:
Yeah that's a long time. Idk because I'm no pro either.. IMO I'd imagine pods in the wild fall off, mold and grow. Personally i wouldn't try it but that's just me.

Sorry to be of no help.
Mike

So no one here has never planted seeds from a moldy pod? Hard to imagine around here. These guys have tried about everything. Lol
I know for a fact pods that have fallen and are moldy have grown plants. I have tons of volunteers as a result. I just don't start my seeds like that when given a choice. I can say last year my best and most productive plant was a volunteer. 

If I have moldy pods of varieties I really want the seeds from, I take the seeds and placenta, mash it all up gently and dump the lot in a solution of 0.1% hydrogen peroxide in a shallow bowl. Any seeds that sink in the H2O2, I discard, as I assume the peroxide got inside the seed case. I take them out after 15 minutes, remove the seeds from any bit of tissue still attached and put them in a dish or water for 5 minutes. I then dry them as per usual. It seems to work, but I`d rather not do it, just in case. 

Back