• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wrinkled leaves and no hope?

https://imgur.com/a/6UUyRKr

Background: I used to have spider mites on it and theyve been gone presumably for the last 2 weeks with constant checking each day. Some people have said that it may be overwatering, but Ill explain in a bit.

The plant has been having these really wrinkled leaves that turn up and curl, and after the elimination of my pests, I assumed it may have been overwatering, so I now have a fan constantly blowing air around the soil and base of the plant to help evaporate off excess water from the surface. I used potting mix (which Ive heard has good drainage) and it would still be sorta wet to the touch after a week of little/no water. It started growing mold on the soil before the fan was installed, so I swapped some of the soil and used copper fungicide to relieve any secondary infections. Now with little to no mold and dry soil, it is still severely curling and I have no idea what to do next.

I have been giving it small amounts of magnesium and calcium fertilizer, as well as some 5-10-5 fertilizer once a week and a half or so. I think some of the brown/beige patches may be nute burn from early on, but I am in no way an expert.

Lastly, could it also be just too close to the grow light? It is an LED and gives off very little to no heat (I can only really feel it when Im within a quarter inch of the light and the leaves dont seem hot)

All help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

one of the first mistakes everyone makes is by watering/fertilizing/spraying and otherwise trying to treat or fix your plants to get them to grow better. most of the time less is more with pepper plants. these plants are being grown indoors? pictures would help.

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
i clicked your link just now and they don`t look too bad. will they go outside or be grown indoors?
Indoors probably, its too cold here in the winters and Ill probably move it into a larger area.

most potting soil has fertilizer in it, you shouldn't be fertilizing your plants unless new growth is starting to come out light green.  Sounds like  you might be over feeding.

Doelman said:
most potting soil has fertilizer in it, you shouldn't be fertilizing your plants unless new growth is starting to come out light green.  Sounds like  you might be over feeding.
Thats what I was thinking but the leaves were doing that before I even added fertilizer. It could be making it worse though, thank you for the suggestion!

Back