• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

WTF is this beast !?

Anyone ever had a Bhut, 7 pot or Naga come out like this?
The seeds were planted at CHRISTMAS, and I have yet to pick a ripe one! HUNDREDS of green ones on the plant tho.

They are almost Spikey !
spikepepr.jpg

I kind of had that happen to some Dorset pods but it wasn't that pronounced. Awesome looking pod!

There are several that are even more severe, but all of them have this skin.
I'll post more as they ripen, and let you know what they are like.

I had a thread on spikey Nagas last year and Potawie said it best that your first early Nagas might have this trait but they become more normal as the plant matures. Here are a couple of mine from 2008. Nice pod Katrina!
IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

Thanks PRF, I absolutely believe you !
I was just surprised that so far all of them display this trait.
Maybe the unseasonably cool summer.

Thanks.

I remember reading somewhere that bumps like that could be caused from parasites or something like that if my memory serves me correctly?

chillilover said:
I remember reading somewhere that bumps like that could be caused from parasites or something like that if my memory serves me correctly?

Once again, I certainly don't know everything but I doubt the parasite theory is the culprit in this instance. The reason I say that is that in this pepper bed I have 47 TIGHTLY planted pepper plants and this is the only variety that exhibits this texture.

Not that it matters really... it's just a spikey pepper, it's not like an image of the virgin mother appeared on my toast or something! :)

What I said probably doesn't have any merit. I might have been dreaming, reading about something else, or got it wrong. :)

So did anyone actually think about collecting the seeds from these spikey pods and actually trying to grow that trait into a mainstream variety? I would love to see huge horned nagas floating around, that look as nasty as we all know their bite is. We have the brain strain thanks to PRF, that a lot of people are trying to grow the most "brainiest" 7pod, so are horned nagas next? Damn PRF, you always get the best pods ... I am so in envy of your farm.

I had lots of spikey nagas on early plants but I think the spikes have a lot to do with the growing environment. It seems all my best spikey or pimply pods have come from greenhouse grown plants. Whether its the extra heat, or difference in humidity I'm not sure but there is usually a noticeable difference

4270493478fb9a444a7hz9.jpg

4629770441a92a6ef3dft3.jpg

I'll photograph the entire plant once they begin to ripen.
I'll save and distribute seeds from the SPIKIEST ones :)

* like I said.... I am not insinuating that this is anything special or something I made / created. Seeds may not even reproduce the trait and the peppers may taste like ass.

"OOOOOH the rare new Kat strain is so much hotter than last years PMD strain" LOL

great looking pod Kat...

I have two different sources for my Bhuts (Cappy and Pablo) and both are exhibiting the spikinesxt....

bhutjolokias09-08-09.jpg

I am also growing Dorset Naga, Naga Morich and Bih Jolokia but none of these are "Spikey"...

Dorset Naga

09-08-09a001.jpg

Bih Jolokia

090809b002.jpg

Naga Morich

090809b006.jpg

Thanks AJ, I guess mine is a bhut.

*PS... I just ate a piece of it... EASILY the hottest pepper I have ever tried!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUCH!
Didn't care for the flavor tho, it reminded me of soap.

Katrina said:
Thanks AJ, I guess mine is a bhut.

*PS... I just ate a piece of it... EASILY the hottest pepper I have ever tried!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUCH!
Didn't care for the flavor tho, it reminded me of soap.

Soap :shocked:

Oh gosh, have you tasted other naga's? The naga is usually a very fruity flavour but I guess everyone is different in the tates they like...:) It could be a cross...

moyboy said:
Soap :shocked:

Oh gosh, have you tasted other naga's? The naga is usually a very fruity flavour but I guess everyone is different in the tates they like...:) It could be a cross...

Maybe I am just spoiled by Datil and Fatalii!
I am sure I'll grow to like the Naga flavOR ;)

Tonight I am having my fatalii/datil/RCH jelly on home made vanilla ice cream!

Back