• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Xochiteco, really an Annuum?

I see this beauty listed as an annuum.. But I'm skeptical.
20220810_153418.jpg
20220810_153339.jpg

20220810_153353.jpg
20220810_153542.jpg

I would have probably thought annuum from the pictures. What makes you skeptical?

I notice the big milky white pedals, seems like one flower per node, though that can be tough to tell when they're all clustered up like that before the growth separates. The leaves look reasonably annuum-y, though maybe not typical. My hidalgo serrano and chile rayado are hairy suckers like that too.

I would have probably thought annuum from the pictures. What makes you skeptical?

I notice the big milky white pedals, seems like one flower per node, though that can be tough to tell when they're all clustered up like that before the growth separates. The leaves look reasonably annuum-y, though maybe not typical. My hidalgo serrano and chile rayado are hairy suckers like that too.
I was about to say the same about the Rayado.

It does mostly look annuum to me too, but the lack of information on it and the look of the calyxes(don't believe I've seen those types of teeth on an annuum before) seemed odd to me, so I just wanted a more informed consensus. When I look it up online, I mostly see the same statements repeated about it in other peoples sales listings, and little else about the history. I guess I was hoping there was more of a story to be had about it somewhere, given how interesting and unique it seems. (to me anyway)

Yep.. You'd think there'd be more for such a cool little pepper. They are pretty tasty.. Still waiting on a ripe one, but the greenies were solid all the way thru when I coined one, had a mild heat, and a not too terrible green flavor I like to call grass.. Kind of like a green bell. I hope they are as firm when they are ripe, because they look about perfect size for kabobs.

My Rayado's ( Thanks to @Bou ) all have the most beautiful leaves & bracts ,the plant looks beautifully toxic. :)
I noticed the fuzzy look as well ,it is a truly beautiful pepper plant..
Great looking Rayado, Marturo!
It does mostly look annuum to me too, but the lack of information on it and the look of the calyxes(don't believe I've seen those types of teeth on an annuum before) seemed odd to me, so I just wanted a more informed consensus. When I look it up online, I mostly see the same statements repeated about it in other peoples sales listings, and little else about the history. I guess I was hoping there was more of a story to be had about it somewhere, given how interesting and unique it seems. (to me anyway)
That makes sense. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it's history. Hopefully someone can chime in.

They definitely have that super fuzzy look in the new growth, especially right with they're budding. Did you get your Rayado from macmex when he was sharing seeds?
Yes CD, from the man itself! Thanks again @ macmexđź‘Ś

It's funny how there is a Cafe Xochiteco, and a Mezcal Xochiteco, but I'm coming up short on a town or landmark named that.. I had figured it was a town or region name. I do, however, see there is a Xochitenco, Mexico.. Or at least there used to be? There's a small neighborhood named Xochitenco.. :think:
Leviosa.jpg

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I took a look and found this, in line with what ahayastani said:

xochiteco, xochiteco
(From Xochitlán, name of many towns in the Mexican Republic, from Nahuatl Xochitlan, literally = 'where flowers abound', from xochitl 'flower' + -tlan 'abundant in'.) PRONUNC. This x is pronounced /s/. 1. adj. Of or relating to Xochitl [which apparently means 'Flower" in a native American language/dialect]

The name Xochitl is girl's name of Native American origin meaning "flower". Xochitl is a Nahuatl or Aztec floral name used in southern Mexico and pronounced SO-chee-tl or SHO-chee-tl, although sometimes the "tl" at the end is not pronounced.

Back