• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

YAUPT

Hi folks. Hopefully some of you can help.

I have a pepper plant that was tagged as a Fresno chili, but it's not.

aai.sized.jpg

aak.sized.jpg

The one in the pic is about 2-2 1/4" long and is typical of all the peppers on the plant.

I regularly eat jalapeno and serrano peppers and enjoy the heat, but these little fellows are HOT!! almost to the point of being unbearable.

Also, any insight to why my serrano peppers are turning cherry red? Great flavor, not overly hot, but bright cherry red.

(if you can't tell, I'm fairly new to growing my own peppers)

Thanks.

Hi folks. Hopefully some of you can help.

I have a pepper plant that was tagged as a Fresno chili, but it's not.

The one in the pic is about 2-2 1/4" long and is typical of all the peppers on the plant.

I regularly eat jalapeno and serrano peppers and enjoy the heat, but these little fellows are HOT!! almost to the point of being unbearable.

Also, any insight to why my serrano peppers are turning cherry red? Great flavor, not overly hot, but bright cherry red.

(if you can't tell, I'm fairly new to growing my own peppers)

Thanks.

Looks like a large, unripe Habanero to me. See what color they ripen to, and you'll get a better idea.
The Serranos I've seen will turn red when ripe. I think they're pretty good that way. :)

BoomerD-

Welcome to the forum!

Can you post a couple pictures of the plant? It may help someone identify the pepper.

SL

BoomerD-

Welcome to the forum!

Can you post a couple pictures of the plant? It may help someone identify the pepper.

SL

I'll post pics later of the plant, but for now, it's very similar in appearance to my serrano. Smaller leaves than a jalapeno, but with "crinkly" leaves.

I've been told that it looks like a green scotch bonnet. Same as habanero?

In spite of the nuclear heat, these are very flavorful, but a different flavor than any habanero I've ever had. Most of the peppers that look like the one I posted above have been that size for at least a month...some a bit longer, perhaps 2 months. None have shown any sign of changing color...yet.

it goes look a lot my orange habs, except it's a bit lighter colored, but one can never trust camera colors that much.

i'd wait til it ripens and post a pic then.
plant pictures are also really helpful.

thats a habanero , looks to be a regular orange one but hard to tell at this point. as for the serrano , they always mature to red. they are hotter when they are green but sweeter when they are red. when i cook with serrano i use a mix of green and red ones. you should try it. the balance is nice.

After doing some google image searching, I'm beginning to accept that they're indeed habaneros...:( I like hot...just not nuclear hot.

Here are a couple of pics of the plant itself:

aap.sized.jpg

aam.sized.jpg

Not the best pics, but should show what is needed.

the pepper looks to be a habanero but the leaves tell a different story. i wouldn't know. lol. maybe a hybrid?

the pepper looks to be a habanero but the leaves tell a different story. i wouldn't know. lol. maybe a hybrid?

yup, those leaves look a lot different from what my orange habs look like..

I'm glad to hear youse both say that. Like I said originally, this plant was staked as a Fresno chili...whatever it is, it's certainly not a Fresno...and I do NOT want habanero peppers. Too hot for me.

I ate one of these things the other night with dinner. Since this wasn't the first one of these I'd eaten, I dissected it first (removed seeds and membrane) and it was still so hot that not only did it burn the inside of my mouth, but it burned my lips and all around the mouth. NUCLEAR HOT :mouthonfire: whatever it is...then, "to add insult to injury...or maybe injury to insult...after dinner, I washed my hands thoroughly with soap and hot water...twice, then, about an hour later, I made the mistake of rubbing my eye... :censored: HOLY CRAP! :fire: My eye started burning like I had liquid fire in it...and it turned beet red...and stayed red until the middle of the next day. :oops: (where's the "head-slap" smilie when you need one?)

probably a habanero fresno hybrid? =D

save seed

some folks might wanna trade for those

a habanero looking fresno with habanero heat. interesting enough for me.

Hey BoomerD, :welcome: from central CA. franz was right you may find some folks here that would like that seed.

Ah, a Frezburger...:P I'm in Moo-desto.

I have no problem with sharing the seeds, (gee...are we still talking about peppers?) :lol: but since I don't know what they really are...

I'd keep it around and keep eating off of it. It won't take long for the "Nuclear Heat" to not bother you anymore. When I first met my wife the hottest thing she had ever eaten was maybe the crushed red pepper flakes from a pizza joint. She couldn't handle a sweet Jalapeno even...
Fast forward a few years to today and she is eating Raw Habs anytime they are available, and is trying to wait patiently for a Yellow 7 to ripen up to try. If it doesn't make us sweat and get a little euphoria going, it isn't worth it as a pepper.

That plant is probably some accidental Hybrid with a Hab. It may be a fresno x Hab. Looks nice and healthy/happy.

I suppose it shouldn't surprise me that the plant was mis-labeled. I bought many of my vegetable plants at Lowes this spring. I bought a 4-pack of tomatoes that were supposed to be cherry tomatoes...and most of them ended up being the size of softballs. :P

(excellent tomatoes though...very sweet and flavorful)

I'll continue eating these from time to time, but probably not on a regular basis. Too ****** hot for regular consumption. Plus, I'm going to leave a few on the plant to see if they mature into something more identifiable.

If so, I'll post more pics.

Thanks folks. I appreciate your attempts to identify this.

(figures...I get to stump the panel :rofl: :lol:

FWIW, a couple of these are starting to turn sort of a lemon yellow...Once they completely make the color change, I'll post another pic.

I've had a couple of requests for seeds. IMO, it's a bit too early for that discussion, BUT, once these mature, I'll post pics and hopefully get a better idea what they actually are.

For clarification, I've called these "Fresno peppers" ONLY because that is what they were staked at when I bought the plant. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone (accidentally or intentionally) switched the stake at Lowe's. So far, they look NOTHING like any Fresno pepper I've ever seen.

BUT, once they mature, if folks are still interested in some seed swaps...I'm probably open to the idea.

Well, since I posted the first pics in this thread, these peppers have started to mature. Quite a change...and definitely NOT toward the Fresno they're supposed to be.

aaq.sized.jpg

aas.sized.jpg

I ate one a couple of nights ago, (de-seeded and cut into strips)along with a bowl of salsa made with the jalapenos and serranos.

Still extremely hot...but not unbearable in small bites.

Definitely had me sweating like a pig...and my wife said my whole face was red...but dammit...the flavor is great.

Back