• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Year 0

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum, but I have been reading several of your Glogs and other posts.  Lot's of very helpful information here for a first time grower.

I have loved hot sauce and spicy food for as long as I can remember.  I've grown tired of the grocery store sauces and care rarely find fresh peppers hotter than Habanero.  So, I started researching how to grow superhots.  This is my first attempt and I'm having a blast.  Here are a couple pictures of my progress thus far.

Growing: Carolina Reapers, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and Bhut Jolokia
Setup: 3x3 tent, Mars Hydro Reflector 1000w grow light
Nutrients: Fox Farms until it runs out or I move them outside and then will swtich to Dyna-Grow

I plan to make some weapons grade hot sauce my first harvest and I will experiment with different sauces, dried pepper flake, jerky, marinades, etc.

Hoping to make a couple of friends on here that enjoy talking about all things pepper.

-Evan

I have a Google Drive folder dedicated to various pics of this first attempt for anyone interested
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BUpoyKqGmSM67YODGtylXZ6bSUs_XneN?usp=sharing

Also, is anyone sure why my pictures are loading sideways?

Eberry787 said:
Also, is anyone sure why my pictures are loading sideways?

It is the stored EXIF Data that causes this.

Even if you don't have an iPhone (And this article talks about email orientation.), this is helpful, Why iPhone pictures flip when emailed, and how to fix it  and LifeWire-How to Fix a Digital Photo Turned Sideways(Rotate pictures that display sideways online)

Our intrepid leader posted this helpful hint.

The Hot Pepper said:
If you edit the pic before uploading it will upload correctly. Editing it "saves" the orientation instead of using native, which would be the way you held the phone. Really it is uploading correctly, but other sites like FB have better software that read the orientation EXIF.

Eberry787 said:
Great! I have taken your advice and started an Imgur account... Here is a test 

https://imgur.com/a/l13cfa4

You posted the URL for your IMGUR home page. Try this:

Go to that home page and pick the image you want to display.
Right click on the image then left click on Copy image in the menu that appears.

EUx7Vqt.jpg

Go to your post making sure the cursor is flashing where you want the image to appear.
Right click on the post then left click on Paste.

Egav7YB.jpg

Thanks for all the positivity and advice on how to navigate the forum.

Ive made so many rookie errors so far... starting with purchasing seeds on Amazon and buying the three part fox farms nutes. Probably had a good portion of beginners luck so far. Ive been really trying to study ahead to prevent any further whoopsies.

Any thoughts on topping soon?

I plan to give three of mine to my father in law, keep 2 maybe three in the tent for experimental purposes and transfer the rest to fabric pots outside.

As a new grower theres a ton of information out there and so much has been contradictory.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

I noted the pix in above post "foggy" with the PhotoBucket logo on them. Wanna see them clearly? Right click on them - left click on "Open image in a new tab" - a new tab will appear at the top of your browser - click on that tab....... Voila!

20130417_095127_zpse8e7c863.jpg

PaulG said:
Wow, thanks for that tip, NECM!
Very helpful and works great!

I don't know what happened but for me the above pic has regressed to the blurry watermarked original? Anyone else?

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

I noted the pix in above post "foggy" with the PhotoBucket logo on them. Wanna see them clearly? Right click on them - left click on "Open image in a new tab" - a new tab will appear at the top of your browser - click on that tab....... Voila!

Wow, thanks for that tip, NECM!
Very helpful and works great!

I decided to top my plants this afternoon.  I watched a few videos and did some quick research.  It was more difficult than I thought it would have been from a psychological standpoint.  Once I made peace with it, I think I did a pretty good job.  Got some really tight branching, I hope that indicates they will be very dense later in life.  

I gave them a good watering (no nutrients) after, they will get a few more hours of light today.  

Here they are a day before topping.
TA0dzOT.jpg

Here they are immediately following the topping.
lvfbtBu.jpg

I was surprised by the amount I was able to get off and not feel like I had totally scalped them.
7Ddk9C7.jpg

The seeds were started around the 13th of January, so 47 days old.  I have been pleased with the growth.  I think the first transplant set me back a weeks growth, but I think it will all pay off in the end with ultimately higher yielding plants.

-Evan

Here is an update to my grow...

I've been trying to extend the period my plants are on the dry side and I took it to the limit yesterday.  I checked on them in the morning before work and I knew I would need to water that evening, but they looked plenty fine to go a few more hours.  However, when I got home I had two that were looking pretty pathetic.  I will avoid going to long between waterings again.

b9yYu9Fl.jpg
tdRYyd7l.jpg
khRJOdal.jpg

I mixed up some 6-4-4 and earth worm castings and gave them a heavy bottom watering.  They made a dramatic recovery over the next 10 minutes, it was pretty wild to watch. (These two examples are not the same plants I posted above, I wish I would have taken before and afters of the ones that were so puny).

d2Czp6bl.jpg
BRhK7Ewl.jpg

Perhaps out of boredom, I decided to make a few more clippings to complete the topping process.  I was pretty aggressive with topping, I wish I would have left one alone for a control of sorts.  The weather here in east Tennessee is starting to warm up, but we will no doubt have at least one more frost.  So, I thought since I've got some time let's go nuts here.  I also plan to leave one of each variety in the tent throughout the year just to play with, I may attempt turn these into bonchis.   

b2I0iIAl.jpg

Pleased with everything so far, I am starting to see some of the traits of the three varieties present themselves.  There for a few weeks I couldn't differentiate between them without cheating and reading the side of their pots.  the Ghosts are leafier and very dense, the Scorpions tend to have girthier stems.  I'm noticing my pH begin to slowly creep closer to the upper end of 7 almost 8.  Any suggestions on how to begin to reverse this?  I have pH control kit, I just don't want to over do it.

LymJZO3.jpg

I'll leave with a cool picture of one of the Ghost stems.

euhPL29.jpg

Thanks,
Evan

Strange days friends....  I work in healthcare and it's been a bizarre several days here in east Tennessee.

Anyways, not a lot to update here.  They appear to be making some nice progress and really filling in after the aggressive topping. I will add some more pictures this afternoon without the grow light on.

C5CN0Oy.jpg

I had one weirdo survive his topping, I must have snipped just high enough to allow it to recover.  I appreciated his resiliency and decided to let him be.  Here is a picture of what it looks like today.

9LWWGIQ.jpg

Observing him today I noticed a a few tiny little flow buds appearing. I have gone back and forth between pinching these off and not.  Does anyone have thoughts on this?  They are still very short as I mentioned before I have been very aggressive with topping. 

QrUciGy.jpg

This will likely be the last update prior to me beginning to harden them off.  I plan to put them in 5 gallon fabric pots today.  The pots have sewn in handles that I thought would make transporting much easier.  
zOe2N5T.png

I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe.  Will update again soon.
3zeKZ5S.jpg

Thanks,
-Evan 

Back