• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Year......and a Day

IMG_4638_zpsa7f91a65.jpg

This is my Scotch Bonnet sauce or also referred to at the "Iowa Hawkeye" tailgates...as the..."Black and Gold".
Its your basic/bare/bonnet sauce consisting of Jamaican Bonnets, cane vinegar, cane sugar, spices...blah, blah, blah...
It has a great taste with no sidetracking ingredients covering up that true Scotch Bonnet taste.
But there's always a way to modify a basic sauce............such as these...

IMG_4641_zpsb7496c6d.jpg

Here are two half gallon Scotch Bonnet ferments, the one on the left is a year old and the one on the right, just a day.
Both ferments consist of vine ripened Yellow Scotch Bonnets which were picked then wiped off with a terry cloth. No washing of the pods.
I didn't use a starter to activate but was hoping to introduce a wild culture to both. Both jars have over four 2 gal bags of peppers which were hand chopped no blender/processor used. My mixer would have easily juiced the liquid from the pods. That's what I was trying to avoid. Even with a 10" chefs knife and a fast hand the mincing still took 2 hrs+

IMG_4644_zpsbb03f15f.jpg

The minced peppers were combined with 2% sea salt and a couple tsp of evaporated cane sugar to form a dry pack. The weight of the year old ferment minus the weight of the jar is 5 lbs. I remember starting last years ferment up and placing it in a grow room which hovers at 86 deg. I had to place the jar on the floor in the closet because it became very active too fast. By the way the grow room is ideal for those who rise their own dough for homemade bread or pizza..........talk about air holes in a high hydrated dough.............WOW!
Anyways, what I'd like to do with the yr old stuff is to combine it with some fresh picked Bonnets and Bahamian Goats and other ingredients
to make a special sauce for the holidays. I can't tell you how the yr old ferment tastes since the lid has never been taken off since day one..
But what I can say is theres no mold and the mash has softened in textiure. I can see the gaps and creveases filled with extracted liquid so I believe all is well. A ph check will be happening within the next month.........and then its time to break out the Champagne.........vinegar!

Greg

Awesome looking man!
I've got to try my hand at fermenting... Been wanting to try that for a while.
Between you and RocketMan... y'all are killin me :)
You gotta let us know how they taste after they're all ready for bottling.
Exceptional work sir!

Good to see you back and "active" Greg. Felt like someone took my wooby,without your wit bouncing around here.You are Mr. Bonnet!!! I had a bottle of bonnet sauce in my hand over the weekend but didn't pull the trigger. I have only eaten then the annuum bonnets. What variety would you suggest I grow next year?

i would love to try this! What's the chance of me scoring a bottle? I can trade.

If its worthy......I'll let you know

I need to pressure my glass distributor into getting those type of bottles. Everytime I see them I love them. All looks good there. Lucky tailgaters.

Brian,
The flasks are nice.........too small to be called ..."A Half Dog" .........ha...but the one's I use are 6oz. A friend of mine in the food biz orders them and my costj runs around 37 cents a bottle

Awesome looking man!
I've got to try my hand at fermenting... Been wanting to try that for a while.
Between you and RocketMan... y'all are killin me :)
You gotta let us know how they taste after they're all ready for bottling.
Exceptional work sir!

Sure, when I make the sauce I'll have to post some photos

Looks picture perfect Greg. I can taste the love now :party:

Go Hawkeys baby :fireball:

Thanks Jamie, ........Whether its sauce or powder or what have ya. When I sow the seeds I'm actually thinking about the processing at the end of the season.

Did i mention i'm an Iowa Hawkeyes fan?

Flattery might get you somewhere............ha

Good to see you back and "active" Greg. Felt like someone took my wooby,without your wit bouncing around here.You are Mr. Bonnet!!! I had a bottle of bonnet sauce in my hand over the weekend but didn't pull the trigger. I have only eaten then the annuum bonnets. What variety would you suggest I grow next year?

You know where to get the real deal...........how many plants are you intending to grow?

Lucky you. I bet they would ship nicely.
Lucky you. I bet they would ship nicely.

Empties come 48 to a case, But if you're talking about filled, pretty much same as a woozie. I don't ship the sauce because of the cost of shipping. Theres plenty of local interests here.

PIC the color on that sauce is incredibly delicious looking.

Lemme' right seat on that and while doing so I'll serve us up some cheese and crackers topped with that sauce.

IMG_4508_zpse7cd3aac.jpg

TB I'm right there with ya. Heres a photo from vacation after seeding some market pods and drinking 3 rum and cokes early in the morning I had a taste for
some cheese and crackers. Ha........found some Kraft snack packs and loaded up with some pepper slivers. The " French" on the North side of St Martin
wouldn't approve of the choice.............but that's too bad. It hit the spot...

great bottle - great looking sauce. If you're interested in a trade I'm all ears bud. :cheers:

Thats right.....I remember a PM from the past. I'll let you now when I have some.

Nice!!! They look awesome :)

Thanks, now that my plants are fizzling out I'll have more time for the kitchen.............maybe an occasional TD

beautiful!

Thanks buddy, How's the smoking and dehydrating going? Your Scotch Faria flakes were delicious!

NICE looks great

Thanks,man

Back