Year End Root Pouch Storage

This was my first year using 10 & 15 gallon root pouch bags.  What  is the best way to store them over the winter?  Should I cover them with a tarp or just leave them open to the elements?   I have about 40 of them, so inside storage is not an option.   

Ozzy2001 said:
You can't just fold them up and stuff them in a bag or box and put in your attic or something?

juanitos said:
i stuffed all mine in a big black trashbag. keeps weather and sun off them.

Hawaiianero said:
40 bags should be able to stuff into a trashbag but you gotta dump out all the soil first. Put in a pile in the corner of your yard and mix some mulch in with it.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I am leaving the soil in them.  I plan on mixing in more compost etc next spring.  

tctenten said:

Sorry I forgot to mention that I am leaving the soil in them.  I plan on mixing in more compost etc next spring.  
Oh, well let us know how they turn out in the spring I guess.
I'm definitely no expert on freezing weather but I would think you should at least stack them up in a corner out of full exposure to the elements as much as possible. A tarp would be helpful.

Yeah, I'm just gonna dump all of mine in a leaf pile from last year and cover it up to compost. Then next year I'll amend it and use it again. the weather will really wear on your bags.

juanitos said:
i stuffed all mine in a big black trashbag. keeps weather and sun off them.
I do the same, but I first turn them inside out, give them a good shake and then put them in the wash with a dash of bleach. Air dry them and into black trash bags they go. I get about three years out of the grey ones before they start falling apart. 

Ozzy2001 said:
Yeah, I'm just gonna dump all of mine in a leaf pile from last year and cover it up to compost. Then next year I'll amend it and use it again. the weather will really wear on your bags.
That might be work for me too. Will be easier to mix in amendments next year.

Back