Year of the Dog wins Grand Prize, Tasting Division at the 2018 Scovie Awards!

Hi All! 

I'd been having trouble with my log-in, and I kept getting locked out, getting frustrated, drinking a beer and forgetting to try again.  :P

I'm excited to announce that the 2018 Scovie Awards were announced last Friday & Year of the Dog won #1 overall for the tasting division to win Grand Prize, Tasting Division! 

The Scovie awards have long been a challenge for me - while I've had success in the THPAs, Golden Chiles, Chile Pepper Magazine, awards, I've never done better than 2nd place at the Scovies. It's a deep field of competition and while Dia del Perro won a Grand Prize for Marketing division in 2016, 1st place in any category of the tasting division has eluded me over the years. 

This year that all changed. 
My first award-winning recipe!
Tequila-Lime Prawns, ala Year of the Dog: 
  • 1 C Tequila
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • Juice of 4-5 limes
  • 4 OZ Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Year of the Dog 
  • 2 Lbs prawns, shelled, de-veined & butterflied

Add all ingredients (except prawns) to a 1 gal zip-lock bag & agitate until emulsified. 
Clean & shell the prawns, de-veining & butterflying them
Add prawns to bag, and brine 3 hours. 

2 cook methods, both work! 
  • Skewer with metal BBQ skewers & cook over open coals. 
  • Sauté in oil on flat-iron 
  • Cook until golden - agave/honey will caramelize. 
2 ways to serve: 
  • Over rice, with steamed veggies & a light teryaki sauce for a Mexi-Asian fusion stir fry
  • In warmed corn tortillas, with shredded cabbage, Mexican creama & a crumble of coteja cheese, using Year of the Dog as a finishing sauce for Asian-Mexi fusion tacos. 
Enjoy! 

22491478_1714074458637627_1156180283264972214_n.jpg

It's been an amazing journey, and THP has certainly been a big part of it. While I haven't had a ton of time to play on the forums lately (and couldn't figure out my damn log-in for a few weeks) I still lurk occasionally. heh 

Thanks to everyone here for your friendship & support over the years. 

Much love (and hot sauce) 
:metal: :fire:  :beer: 

Scott

Ps - you can see the full list of winners at http://www.scovieawards.com

Mr.CtChilihead said:
LOL...I do a lot of racing..Second is first loser or so they say..Seriously I hear ya..And congrats again..
I get it - Im competitive as heck too.

In Fiery food competition its not quite as cutthroat - some of the categories are chalk full of amazing products, so its an honor to even place among them.

But for sure winning the Grand Prize #1 overall among Hot Sauce, BBQ sauce, candy, condiments, drink mixes, snacks, rubs, wing sauces, jerky, etc is preferred. I just thought never in a million years would that happen. :rofl:

That's awesome, Scott! I'm really, really happy for you, man! I've only had your Black Label and YOTD, but they're both truly outstanding hot sauces, dude.

You're an inspiration to all of us hobby sauce makers. I mean that wholeheartedly

Congrats, brother!

:party:

MikeUSMC said:
That's awesome, Scott! I'm really, really happy for you, man! I've only had your Black Label and YOTD, but they're both truly outstanding hot sauces, dude.

You're an inspiration to all of us hobby sauce makers. I mean that wholeheartedly

Congrats, brother!

:party:

Thanks Mike! That means a lot to me! 
:)

Congrats again!

Is there supposed to be agave or honey in the recipe?

AH!   I get it~~~  :lol:  

Enjoy your accolades, very well deserved.

Back