Yellow Cardi or TS Yellow

I had heard that these two peppers are the same, but I have seen both advertised on the same site.  Can anyone tell me the difference in these two peppers?

the cardi is larger, less hot, and more known than the typical yellow scoprion, now there is also yellow butch T, it makes it more confusing unless u plant them all and more than one time 

I`ve eaten both this year and they are quite different in appearance, in flavour and in heat. CARDI Yellow Scorpions aren`t terribly hot, certainly nowhere near what would be considered superhot. That`s not the case for the Trinidad Yellow Scorpion. Those are pretty damn hot. 

In my case, the CARDI scorpions were about golf ball sized, but the Yellow Scorpions were larger and looked more like a Yellow Brain strain with a tail. I have no doubt there are lots of strains flying around.

PepperLover said:
the cardi is larger, less hot, and more known than the typical yellow scoprion, now there is also yellow butch T, it makes it more confusing unless u plant them all and more than one time 

I planted Butch T seeds this year that turned out to be yellow.  I just assumed that the seeds I got weren't Butch T.  How would I tell a Butch T yellow from a TS Yellow.

This is the last two I got off the plant and had to ripen them after picking.  They were generally a little bigger than these.

Sting.jpg

Here they are in a bowl of burgundy peppers.

909Bowl1.jpg

Nigel said:
I`ve eaten both this year and they are quite different in appearance, in flavour and in heat. CARDI Yellow Scorpions aren`t terribly hot, certainly nowhere near what would be considered superhot. That`s not the case for the Trinidad Yellow Scorpion. Those are pretty damn hot. 

In my case, the CARDI scorpions were about golf ball sized, but the Yellow Scorpions were larger and looked more like a Yellow Brain strain with a tail. I have no doubt there are lots of strains flying around.

The yellow I had this year was a super hot, so that rules out it being a Cardi.  Excellent aroma and flavor, but Lordy it was hot.

The Yellow Trinidad Scorpion is a natural mutation of the standard red Trini Scorp.

The CARDI Yellow Scorpion is closer to a Congo - most of the fruits tend to look like a Congo and a small portion (although on some plants occasionally all) will look like a classic scorpion.  It has a thicker flesh, is very sweet and very fruity.  But not evil hot.

RobStar said:
The Yellow Trinidad Scorpion is a natural mutation of the standard red Trini Scorp.

The CARDI Yellow Scorpion is closer to a Congo - most of the fruits tend to look like a Congo and a small portion (although on some plants occasionally all) will look like a classic scorpion.  It has a thicker flesh, is very sweet and very fruity.  But not evil hot.
Every single one of my CARDI look just like a TS and the rest as described is spot on. 

I thought the CARDI was a developed strain and not merely a mutation. Hence the name CARDI included.

Maybe coming from a mutation but further developed and bred.

The CARDI Yellow Scorpion is a cultivar dveloped by CARDI - it appears to be a scorpion outcross with a Congo.  To me the flavour profile and thick flesh show more characteristics of a Congo than a Scorpion.. Also don't forget that CARDI's version of a Scorpion is somewhat different to the classic phenotype that we associate with a Scorpion - there's is elongated and dimpled and looks more like the Carbon Bhut.  They developed their cultivars for commercial production (specifically for export) and were most likely trying to create a pod that had the flavour and sweetness of a Congo with some added heat.  Also the Scorpion shape is very desirable - adds novelty value.  Most of mine however tend to look like Congos.

So to re-iterate:  there is a natural mutation of what we consider a Trinidad Scorpion - check out Tom's topic - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35346-yellow-butch-t-scorpion-peppers/ 

The CARDI version is a commercial cultivar that is most likely an outcross between a Scorpion of sorts and a yellow Congo.

Back