• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Yellow Falling Buds

So after the Flower gets pillinated and the flowers drop and the buds are starting to grow they all turn Yellow and fall off, this is happening with my manzano pepper plant and the Bells
3c028735.jpg

You've got look at your situation and realize your plants are getting to much direct sunlight.... Or are they getting filtered light and its probably not enough sunlight....... Had my 7pots in full on sunlight and had the same problem...Moved my plants around and found a shaded area that only gets sunlight when the sun sets.... Now i have a pod on one plant... so im trying that area out and see if anymore flowers drop...

Well my manzanos have grown very very easy they grow almost like weeds but now that the buds have come up they are faling off, but I guess i will put it on the shade sense its on a pot it should be easy to move around maybe filtered light behind a tomato bush plant

Had a lot of rain? Did you just fertilize? I learned about blossom drop the hard way when I fertilized the hell out of my peppers and gave them water when I even thought I saw a leaf drooping. Aren't manzanos more of a cooler climate chile - like stated above, I would get them out of direct sunlight for a while and see if that helps or since they are growing like weeds leave them and they may eventually set out some pods. My Caribbean Red habs this year kept dropping some serious buds, but as they continued to grow new buds began popping out all over the place and I had to stake it to keep it from breaking.

Pepper201215.jpg

Pepper201217.jpg

Pepper201216.jpg

I've always wanted to grow a manzano - let us know how the plant responds

good luck

Manzanos and Rocotos can be difficult to grow. Flower / bud drop is a fairly common occurrence for me in here in Pennsylvania but eventually, when they are ready, they will hold on and start producing. By the end of the season, I had huge plants hanging to the ground with fruit (literally). Keep the faith and keep the plants healthy. They will produce when they are ready.

if your plants are producing pollen and not setting fruit, your pollen may be sterile so the pod is not fertilized...usually hot hot temperatures cause this...

If you were to use the search function, you would find this

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

I think its because its on full sun maybe i can put it somewere with filtered light, its on a 1 gallon pot so I give it water about 2 times a day i dont fertilize it alot i give it oscotec 14-14-14 slow release

Watering twice a day may be too much for it....also, you may want to go ahead and put it into a larger pot...5 gallon maybe.

Does the plant look wilted when you water it? Or do you just water it twice a day regardless?

I water it if all the other plants are dry sense the plant is mulched i cant really tell if it needs it, but not the plant seems to have no effect once i water it

I think its because its on full sun maybe i can put it somewere with filtered light, its on a 1 gallon pot so I give it water about 2 times a day i dont fertilize it alot i give it oscotec 14-14-14 slow release

Yes, filtered light is good, put it under a tree

water 2 times a day is no bueno. i am a noob, but that is one of the lessons i learned. most peppers like to be well drained, the soil should get "almost dry" before you water agian. they also dont like to be over watered, or to have the leaves and blossoms wet. water the soil instead. a larger pot would also be better, ive read on here that 5 gal pots are pretty standard. makes for a more prolific plant. and possibly a small amount of calcium in your soil.. bonemeal works well, just dont over do it. and yes.. shade as well..

bud drop could also be a pollination thing.. if so wait till you have tried all this other stuff and waited for a couple weeks. then try hand pollinating a simple wet q tip and a very gentle rub on each flower should do it.. these suggestions worked really well on my Datils when i had that problem, how ever i tried them all at the same time, so i dont know which fix worked! lol

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/31258-buds-falling-off-please-help/ this was my thread

Great posts and thanks for the info. I am also experiencing blossom drop with my bhut jolokia plants. Two plants produced a billion blossoms early, but almost all have fallen off. Same symptoms.as mentioned above: flower, yellow pedals, then drop. We have been having some incredible heat lately and I have been trying to make sure to water once a day to keep them hydrated. I might cut out the watering for a few days and see what happens. I have 4 other bhut plants with blossoms that aren't falling off, so not sure why these are staying on. Still no onset of peppers yet. Direct sun may be the problem as well - they do get a bunch of sun.

Back