• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Yellow Habanero

I am in love with the yellow & orange chilli flavours, and I intend on growing them myself for next year and I am very excited, have the pots already and have it all planned out.

I was hoping somebody can recommend a species and/or offer seeds to sell. I am after a yellow habanero variety which does NOT occupy the characteristics of the small shapelessness somewhat unexcitingness that can be found in an average orange habanero from the supermarket. I want a fun, large & oddly shaped one - and it goes without request asking for one with a lot of flavour, and the more heat the better however I understand the restrictions. I am not quite prepared to get the 7-pods yet - that will come the following year probably.

Can anybody help name some exciting yellow habanero varieties and sources for getting them in Australia?

I think you're probably looking for yellow C. chinenses, not just habs. Habaneros are a specific variety, and the yellow habs are usually hab-nots.
For something with good heat but not killer, I'd recommend the Bonda ma Jacques. For even more heat try fatalii, or yellow 7pods

Peppermania sells a very nice Yellow Hab. very Large, hot and tasty. :)
not sure of sites in Australia. Doesnt really matter these days. I order stuff all over the world.

Australia is very difficult to get seeds sent to. I'd try Neil at
http://www.thehippyseedcompany.com/

or Candice at
http://www.wildfirechilli.com.au/

Never had any problem sending seeds to Neil and Grant Australia as long as you indicate the species and variety on the pack.

I haven't had problems either but lots of people here have, especially when things are labelled. I think Aussie customs officers are major chile-heads...lol To send them legally, there is a lot of paperwork and hastle.
I see why they have such strict standards since almost any plant can become invasive especially in the warmer North. They certainly don't need another rabbit or frog like problem

One of my favorite yellow C. Chinense is the Big Sun Scotch Bonnet, great flavor and heat and cool shape. I grew out many differnet sourced yellow habanero couple years ago and only found one like Potawie said was a true yellow habanero from Mexico. I am growing the yellow Habanero and not the Scotch Bonnet this year, both very good chiles.

This has been debated for many years on various chile forums. I personally don't think the bigsuns are bonnets or habs, but they certainly are excellent C. chinense peppers

I haven't had problems either but lots of people here have, especially when things are labelled. I think Aussie customs officers are major chile-heads...lol To send them legally, there is a lot of paperwork and hastle.
I see why they have such strict standards since almost any plant can become invasive especially in the warmer North. They certainly don't need another rabbit or frog like problem

I've only had one batch confiscated coming into Australia so far. I say confiscated, I could have paid the $45 fee, filled out the form, waiting the time, and hoped it all went to plan.

Customs only require that the seeds are clean, packaged one variety to a pack, and labeled with the seeds correct name (genus and species). If those steps are followed, they don't seem to mind.

Oh, and it can't be a banned plant-type or from a banned location (plant matter from quarantined locations etc).

The full requirements are here - Import Conditions - Chilli - Seed for sowing

Agree on the HSB. That is a very nice yellow hab type pepper. Very hot yet also lots of flavor. Prolific as well........

Soap_Electrolysis024.jpg

I've only had one batch confiscated coming into Australia so far. I say confiscated, I could have paid the $45 fee, filled out the form, waiting the time, and hoped it all went to plan.

Customs only require that the seeds are clean, packaged one variety to a pack, and labeled with the seeds correct name (genus and species). If those steps are followed, they don't seem to mind.

Oh, and it can't be a banned plant-type or from a banned location (plant matter from quarantined locations etc).

The full requirements are here - Import Conditions - Chilli - Seed for sowing

There are a lot of threads about stuff being confiscated by Australia customs even when paperwork was done. I know Neil, Bent, Stillmanz and many others all had lots of problems and they now all recommend hiding the seeds within a birthday card rather than full disclosure. There was even some talk about not all the Capsaicin species being allowed in. I think it was maybe C. Pubescens and also the wild varieies that weren't on the permitted list

Back