• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellow leaves - should I worry?

Hey everyone,

It's occurred to me recently that I may have a problem with one of my peppers. I noticed a couple of days ago that its leaves were more yellowish than the other 2 datil plants I am growing. All 3 are treated identically except for I have the other 2 in a different location, where they get different sunlight (I'm guessing less - their day probably starts later and ends earlier than my problem plant, but my friend is hosting my plants so I can't confirm the changes in the sun through the day).

What also occurred to me is the plant is next to a bunch of basil which also has yellow leaves. I'd assumed the basil was just yellowing as it had already started to bolt, but now I'm wondering if there's something affecting both plants. I almost assumed it was the sun and started to move it with the other plants, but then I thought that if it's a disease or bugs, I probably shouldn't. I would assume it wouldn't be bugs, as the plants are only 15 ft away from each other.

Attached are a couple of pics of the datil, with the basil in the background, then a pic of the basil only, and finally a pic of my other 2 datils, which are a fairly lush green.

Is this something I need to worry about?

Yes, they are all way behind where they should be at this time of year. I was trying to make a go of it in my dark, dank forest of a home, with supplemental lights and limited sun, but couldn't get any fruits to set. I moved them to my friend's place a little over a month ago and they started to make a go of it. The yellow-leaf plant is producing at least as much, if not more than my other plants (one plant has no peppers as I almost killed it with too much sun/too little water, but she's set a couple of fruit now with hopefully more to come).

SDC12423.JPG

SDC12424.JPG

SDC12425.JPG

SDC12433.JPG

No, they haven't been inside since I bought them in early May. It's just that my place is essentially in a mini-forest. I put the now-problem plant in the sunniest spot, still probably not 4 hrs worth - she flowered but no fruit set. The other 2 got only filtered sunlight plus 2 types of supplemental lights - outgrew the lights without flowering. I flew my white flag and got them moved to my friend's place at least 6, maybe 7 weeks ago. That plant has stayed by the basil since then.

I've heard datils are more sensitive to sunlight than other peppers. Unfortunately, my friends don't have a chicken-proof place for the peppers to get AM sun, so they're getting PM sun only. I did fry one plant (it's the plant on the right in the last picture) but she didn't go yellow, just got wilted but recovered. I've never seen my problem plant wilted. I was watering them once every 3 days since I near-killed the one plant, but now I'm checking on them every other day as sometimes 3 days is too long. I dig a couple inches deep when I check on them, and if it's still moist at that level I don't water.

If you think it might be getting too much sun for a datil, I can probably find a less sunny spot that isn't next to my other plants. But if she were getting too much sun, wouldn't she wilt or be producing more poorly?

It's not too much sun.  Not unless they've just been moved outside.  Datils are one of the best Florida peppers, and our UV is absolutely brutal. 
What have you been feeding the plants, when, and how often? 

I give them a 5-5-5 once a month. But that's something all 3 plants have in common, so I don't know why one would react differently.

Back