• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Yellow Leaves

I am trying to figure out why my leaves are starting to get yellow cause they started out good until i transplanted them to cups in miracle grow moisture control potting soil.i tried epsom salt cause i saw it in some posts but it didn;t work so i;m asking for some help.
2013-03-05_05-27-48_209.jpg
2013-03-17_06-57-08_878.jpg

Agree - overwatering. If you don't have a fan on them already, I'd recommend starting now. It will help dry out the surface soil, which will help prevent damping off.

I had the same problem with MG. After I separated my seedlings they started to yellow. I wasn't watering much either, and after a month they're taking off. I'd say it's the fert in the MG. I'm now using Promix and no more yellowing.

I would agree with overwatering. Also, clear plastic cups aren't the best I believe. The roots don't like light, and might not grow out fully to the edge of the container. If I'm wrong about that I'm sure someone on here will say something. Anyways, good luck with it.

Watch your fertilizing, I've found overdoing it can yellow leaves too.

Jay I've heard the same thing about clear cups, roots don't like to grow in them. I'm finding that may not be entirely true. This year and last year I tossed a few cuttings into clear glass containers and they sit in a window with a.m. sun and they've done wonderful.

Reactions: Jay
Hmm, yea I've never tried in clear cups to be honest, just going by word of mouth. I'f they worked fine for you then that's good enough of a reason for me to say its probably ok.

I've used clear cups in the past, too, without any problems. The kind of more interesting thing is using "dirt cubes" - no cup or pot at all. With a clear cup, you can see the roots once they reach the edge, and they keep going just like they would if they were in an opaque cup. With "dirt cubes" (there's another name for them I'm not remembering), however, once the roots reach the edge of the dirt, they either turn back in or stop. Seems the open air is what they don't like.

I'm doing clear cups since transfer. Lots of lovely furry roots growing all around the side of the cups - so I don't believe that roots hate it.

It's also helpful to see how the soil below the surface is.

Thank you for all the input, Promix is what it is. I will be changing my soil today .Hopefully my leaves will start getting back green & my plants start growing again.

What varieties have changed yellow? I noticed I had my filius blue had dark purple leaves and I thought it was doomed but they're doing well, however my Yatsufusa look just like those and they are the only ones that are like that, and I have treated all of them equally, do certain varieties prefer different soil blends?

Back