seeds Yellow Seedlings

Hey there, this is my first year growing and I just started having my first few seedlings sprout up.  When they did I felt a bit alarmed as they were yellow in color rather than the green I had expected.  Do you think they are experiencing water stress? I have been keeping them in the dark on a seedling mat in a cabinet.  What should I do?  Thanks

yellow1.jpg

I put them under light.  Should I keep the greenhouse cover on or off?  I still have 9 other pellets germinating that started two days ago

Jolokia John said:
I put them under light.  Should I keep the greenhouse cover on or off?  I still have 9 other pellets germinating that started two days ago
Pull the ones out that have broken the surface of the soil and put under lights. Leave the others covered until they show themselves.

it will turn green from  photosynthesis.   leave them uncovered to prevent damping off.  

I pull all my sprouts and into solo cups.  keep the ones that haven't sprouted yet the same and some time to sprout.  all mine sprout at different times, so that's how i do...  

oh yeah, rip off those jiffy nettings before you transplant.  

grow.jpg

This is my grow box set up for my seedlings.  The light is a 75 watt halogen grow bulb made by Phillips and will be about 6" about the plants and tested around 7000 LUX for that distance

Although I have to plead ignorance on whether or not 7000 lux is enough or not, I think your plants may not be getting enough light. The last two years I ran 4' fluorescents (4 t8s and 2 t12s) about an inch or two away from my plants with OK results. This year I upgraded to 8 t8s at the same distance and am seeing a marked improvement (maybe due to other factors, but it's definitely much brighter). 
     I don't know if moving seedlings closer than 6" to a halogen bulb would cook them, but if that's the case you might need to try something else. Would it be possible to add a couple more fixtures for CFLs? Maybe put one in each corner of the roof, giving you five total? The halogen might still be good for heat and additional light spectrum , but I bet your plants would love an extra 50 or 100 watts of fluorescent! Just spitballin'. Keep us posted!

The compact fluorescent bulbs (cfl) put out more plant usable light than halogen bulbs. They are also fairly cheap and easily available. I would switch to one, or many, when you can. Choose a daylight bulb, 6500k.
Keeping the dome on the germinated seedlings can be bad, because it provides a situation where mold or fungi can grow on the seedling and it could begin to rot in the high humidity. Stick something to hold the corner/side up till the others germinate if you have no where else to move the ones that have popped, it will help level out the humidity.

It could be more than that, I used a phone app to read it and when holding the light right over it read around 10,000 LUX.  i probably will grab one of those CFL's though, I put the three new seedlings in the grow box. I am going to keep them under the light for a couple hours and increase their time by an hour each day.

20140206_084106.jpg

I transplanted the three seedlings into solo cups, with good organic soil and food spikes, and set them in the grow box with the light on and the fan on low for two hours. The carribbean red turned green as a result and looks good, the orange habanero is till bent and trying to shake off the seed shell, but the Big Thai Hybrid withered up and fell over. I wonder if it didn't have enough moisture to last the two hours under the light. I gave it more water and I am going to let it sit and see if it comes back.

Back