• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum yellow serrano, tell me have you seen her?

everytime i think about it the Chi-Lites hit plays in my head. I need to know if it was just a great dream
or halucination or  if i really had these a few years back. it was this  time of year three years ago
i got a sack of serranos at the mexican market  mostly green but showing signs of color change due to ripeness. i do my usual, dump the pile on the counter and eat a few a day over the next week n half
and watch them ripen over that time well this time they ripen to a pink orange and a few yellow ones and these yellow ones had the fruitiest most focused serrano flavor ever ever ever. the heat was'nt quit as hot as a normal red ripe serrano but still hotter than a jalapeno. I was pepper niaeve at the time and did not save seeds (jackass!) for my palate for daily use it was it was the chile sublime, i can smell its perfume as i type. and no when i went back a couple weeks later just the regular that ripen to true a red.
Was it just my magination or did this happen i have'nt seen em since?

please someone shed some light.

First off welcome to THP. We have a local farmers market that has many different peppers in the summer. I too think I have seen them in various colors. Sorry not sure, but I think I have seen them also. I'm sure one of the pros here can help better than I can.

Per wikipedia "Unripe serrano peppers are green, but the color at maturity varies. Common colors are green, red, brown, orange, or yellow."

So it probably was not a dream. I am sure if you dig you will be able to find some seeds, then again one plant may produce all the different colors. 

i have never seen a yellow serrano but there is a yellow jalapeno they are called JALORO maybe this is what you saw??

thanks joe thats a good looking pepper that i would like to try. but those are much to fat and from looking at the pictures
those appear to ripen from yellow to red. they were not like the typical chain grocery serrano,huge, dark green, and not
very hot. these were smaller, skinny and a light green when unripe with a stern heat when used in pico. and i'm certain they
were not cayenne either. i would just like to grow something even similar to them other than the same kinda typical serrano i've
been growing the last few years which dont get me wrong are great. they're just not like the ones my palate put on a pedestal.
 my guess is they were the tampequino. which i would like to grow either way they sound delicious.

Back