• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Yellow spots on Mad Hatter plant?

Been about a month since I transplanted it from its small Bonnie plant container and since then it's bloomed like crazy haven't noticed any problems until recently started off as a few yellow spots and then eventually the whole Leaf turns yellow. Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

20191004_110944.jpg

The plant has interveinal and marginal chlorosis, so it appears to be a nutrient uptake problem and it's mobilizing mobile nutrients from older growth to support new growth.  This can be related to things like your media choice, poor drainage/compaction, root issues, watering and fertilization habits, etc. If you post about your transplant, e.g., what media you transplanted into, and your watering and fertilizing practices that would help people help.  There are many reasons this can happen and it can take a fair amount of information to determine the cause.  You don't appear to be in any emergency though, so that's good.

The media is a mix of potting soil that I had left over from 2 Rose plants and some organic compost I bought from Home Depot.
I don't know the ratio of compost to potting soil only that there's more soil than compost. I used this method for my cowhorn, sweet cherry, and cajun plants as well and haven't noticed any problems so far although none of them are blooming as fast as the Mad Hatter. I counted 20 peppers 2 days ago now it's up to 24 the number of yellow spotted leaves has also jumped up from 8 to 11in the same amount of time.
My watering routine is once in the morning and then again in the late afternoon around 3 or 4 as it has been really hot in Texas lately

Based on what you've shared I'm most inclined to believe the issue is related to the container media and perhaps over-watering.  I hear you say it's hot and dry out so more watering is needed, but I'd suggest taking a good look at whether the is drying sufficiently between waterings.  I might even consider bottom watering thoroughly and leaving the plant to dry longer versus more frequent lesser waterings. 

As to the container media, that's a lot of compost along with the potting mix.  Even if it's a highly peat-based mix, it's going to be a heavy mix prone to compaction and saturation.  I'm not sure exactly how to build container media for Texas conditions, but I'd probably amend the basic potting mix with 20%-25% perlite or maybe a perlite/vermiculite combination and then add only a very little of the compost.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.  I can't say I know exactly what your situation is, but the steps I'd take would be evaluating the condition of the roots and media, probably replanting with an airier mix, and then looking to water less frequently with perhaps larger and bottom waterings.

Thanks for the feedback. This is my first year growing hot peppers before now I've only grown a couple ornamentals so I'm still learning my way by trial and error.
I'll try what you suggested once I get home from work thanks again for your help.

Back