• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Yellowing edges of seedling leaves

Started from seed about 2 weeks ago. They germinated within 1 week and the leaves looked great right away. Then they started to curl up and brown around the edges, which is now turning yellow as they grow. Supplemental light is a small led light that doesnt give off much/any heat. Using a ziploc to trap in some heat/moisture as ambient temp in the room is about 65. Can the seedling recover from this? Something I should switch up to avoid this in the future? Appreciate any input on the situation! Thanks!

Attachments

• 6APwb22.jpg
    6APwb22.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 118
I'd take the bag off. 65F is fine for them as long as they have enough light. You need to smash them with light. Also I suspect the humidity might be too high and they're not liking it.

With seedlings you do need to keep the soil wetter than with larger plants, but completely soaking them like that with the bag - i suspect that'll be the problem.

LED's will "burn" plants with their intensity even when the actual heat isn't an issue.  My guess is the light is too close.  I'd move it back.  It's possible the bags are retaining heat and creating a "greenhouse" micro-environment, where the temps could be well hotter than the ambient temps.  I think the issue is more likely the LED's intensity, though, as "burn" is evident in the picture.  I agree with removing the bag, though if they've been under it for a while do it over the course of a couple days opening them more and more over that period before removing them so the plant can adjust to the demands of a drier environment.

That type of damage to the cotyledons won't even phase your plants if you transition them into the right environment now.  It's the growing tip you should be concerned with - and also avoiding fungus like damp-off if you keep them too wet/humid for too long.  A little warmer would be better than 65F, which could be remedied by a heat mat underneath them, but they should be okay at 65F.  Colder increases the damp-off risk, as would nitrogen fertilizer, which they don't need yet.  They also are unlikely to grow nearly as fast at 65F as they would 10F - 15F warmer.  Warmth is even more important to sprouts than it is to more mature pepper plants.

Good luck!

CaneDog said:
LED's will "burn" plants with their intensity even when the actual heat isn't an issue.  My guess is the light is too close.  I'd move it back.  It's possible the bags are retaining heat and creating a "greenhouse" micro-environment, where the temps could be well hotter than the ambient temps.  I think the issue is more likely the LED's intensity, though, as "burn" is evident in the picture.  I agree with removing the bag, though if they've been under it for a while do it over the course of a couple days opening them more and more over that period before removing them so the plant can adjust to the demands of a drier environment.

That type of damage to the cotyledons won't even phase your plants if you transition them into the right environment now.  It's the growing tip you should be concerned with - and also avoiding fungus like damp-off if you keep them too wet/humid for too long.  A little warmer would be better than 65F, which could be remedied by a heat mat underneath them, but they should be okay at 65F.  Colder increases the damp-off risk, as would nitrogen fertilizer, which they don't need yet.  They also are unlikely to grow nearly as fast at 65F as they would 10F - 15F warmer.  Warmth is even more important to sprouts than it is to more mature pepper plants.

Good luck!
what Canedog said....

LED light power/ distance & heat mat combo can make you sprouts take off....

careful you do not have too bright a light too close...

EG:
i had a faulty heat mat that was working intermittently.. and my plant just stopped growing.
at the same time i upgraded my LED light to a 400w from 250w.... i had to move my lights up a lot more from 12inch(300mm) above plants to 2 feet (600mm)
as they got burnt almost instantly with in a day or two..

the moral of this story is start high and lower , not start low burn then move up.

Ahh, think my LED lights have been burning my cotyledons a little bit. I thought it was nute burn at first and diluted the water (hydro).

Dulac said:
Ahh, think my LED lights have been burning my cotyledons a little bit. I thought it was nute burn at first and diluted the water (hydro).
gotta watch that spacing..!...especially as the quality of the LED lights out improves...
with my older cheap as chips light i could get it down really close to my seedlings...
now with a new higher quality light I'm almost 2feet (600mm) away. any closer and things start to shrivel and burn like putting a indoor seedling in full midday summer sun in Australia... and that's HOT!!!!

Back