• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Yellowing leaves

Hi guys. I hope you can give some advice.
I have yellowing leaves in one of these pots below. Both are Orange Habs, both grown under the same light, watered at the same time and by the same water.
The only difference is the size of the cells and at the moment the cells are quite dry. I read that it could be over watering but i'm not really sure that that is it because of the reasons above.

IMG_4701.jpg

I suspect that the plants on the right may be starting to yellow too.

ive started to wait until i see a little wilt in the leaves to water.
also. are those the first leaves yellowing? maybe they are just getting ready to drop?

Too much water can make them yellow... Lack of N (the first number in your fertilizer - I use 5 1 1 Alaska Fish) could cause it. Too much Nutrients can cause Nutrient lock that can cause yellowing...

Whats your water/fert schedule?

Actually, I'm going to go out on a limb and say over fertilization could be a possibility...

On the right hand side, the second cell from the top on the far right hand side, the little cotyledon has a bit of brown dead look at the end of the leaf. That says fert burn to me...

I'll hold out judgement for more info... But IF it is fert burn water them a lot (and let it run out the bottom)... Then don't fert for a while, or water for that matter until they start to wilt a little, or the pot feels light... Then start watering again on your original schedule...

Then after a while of just watering, start adding a little bit of fert back into the schedule, but less than you've been.

But like I said, I want to hear your fert/water schedule first :D

Actually, there are a few on the left with what looks to be fert burn as well...

Middle plant in the top row, the one just below it in the second row, second plant in the third row, and middle plant on the bottom row all have the typical sign for fert burn which is the leaf dying slowly (and turning to a dry, papery, crumbles in your fingers type state).

It could still just be the camera/lighting... So once gain, fert and water schedule, and type :)... This is fixable I should think, they are sturdy plants.

I haven't used any fertilizer as such, just tap water and Hesi Root Complex once every other week. Plants watered every 2 days on average and pots are normally still a bit damp. They are in a home made prop that gets quite warm so those pots dry out fast if left alone too long.

Jsschrstrcks - they are actually a little more yellow than they appear in the photographs

Sodium! It could be the sodium in the root complex... They anticipate you using it in a hydro setup I think... It looks like good stuff but they have a warning about using it for extended periods on the same soil... Perhaps try repotting one in some fresh soil and see what happens? Sodium as you know is salt, and a lot of plants are not super tolerant of salt in quantities. Hessi has some nutes for mother plants, that might be a better option? It says that it has no sodium in it, and gives that as the explanation.

In aquariums it's a good idea to put a little salt in your fresh water tanks... Has to do with osmotic pressure and fighting bacteria... Might be a related reason for putting a touch in the soil.

If Hesi Root Complex isn't a fertlizer, as such, then what would you call it? I doubt if that's your problem though. If you're watering every two days and the pots are normally still damp then I suspect overwatering is part of your problem. I would back off on the Hesi too. Wait until the top of your medium is dry before watering. Or if the leaves start to droop and curl in then water.

I had a problem with yellowing leaves, to the point that a few fell off and the only thing I gave the plants was a big shot of mycorrhiizae. Too big a shot it appears. It isn't a fertilizer, as such, either. Thing is too much of even a good thing can be a bad thing.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with chlorine in the water or the Root Complex as all my other plants are a healthy color (and grown under same conditions):

IMG_4698.jpg

The plants above are grown in styrofoam cells as you can see rather than the bio pots that the yellowing plants are in. I guess it could be over watering, but those bio pots dry out much faster than the soil in the styrofoam and everything is watered at the same intervals. I will hold off watering them till they start to wilt a little and see how that helps.

@ Patrick the website I was looking at calls it a nutrient that can be used along with fertilizers (i have no idea of the ingredients). I guess it is a fertilizer.

Plants watered every 2 days on average and pots are normally still a bit damp. They are in a home made prop that gets quite warm so those pots dry out fast if left alone too long.

id say to wet.. wont kill them to see a touch of wilt on the leaves before the next water..
if you are afraid of letting that happen.. maybe water a little less every 2 days.. or every 3 intead of 2..

Back