Yellowing veins, bottom leaves fall off

Hi all,

I have a problem with one of my Trinidad scorpions this year, potentially due to over-fertilization. It was very healthy last year, producing well. It was cut back to a stick over winter, re-potted at the start of spring into a larger pot with new potting mix (and here's where I think I went wrong) and some organic fert - http://www.yates.co.nz/products/fertilising/organic-based/dynamic-lifter-plus-fruit-food/

I repotted some other chillies in the same way. 1 x bhut jolokia cross (overwintered), 1 x red hab (from nursery) and one other scorpion some weeks later.

Things were good for a while with heaps of new growth. But around the time the plants started putting out flowers, growth slowed.

The bottom leaves on the scorpion started yellowing in the veins and forming lesions in the margins, around which remains a green area. These leaves continued to yellow and eventually fell off.

The bhut x formed lots of buds but then stopped growing, with no buds opening or dying off. It showed no yellowing leaves or other problems.

The other plants seemed to slow in growth as well, with the hab's flowers refusing to open (first ones opened today).

TS center, bhut x lower right;

itp8gayl.jpg

Yellowing leaf on TS;                                                                                                                

i5N0Eg5l.jpg

Some other leaves that fell off for comparison;

tRY0DVgl.jpg

Two leaves that I took to look at under a micrscope;

VSpWGSTl.jpg

Good pic of the distribution of the green spots / lesions;

YgUTZfol.jpg

After a while of slow growth and these leaves yellowing I suspected the over-fert and went ahead and repotted all of the chillies with fresh soil. This went much better than I expected. I found the scorpion and bhut had filled their pots with roots. I removed the majority of soil, but the scorpion had such a large root ball I think it retained a significant amount of "hot" soil.

Within 48 hours flowers were opening on the bhut. I thought "sweet! Problem solved!” Over the next few weeks growth took off on all of the chilies and I can see that I definitely had too much fert in there.

However the scorpions’ leaves have not stopped dropping, if anything they have accelerated. Yellowing veins, margins stay green and form lesions. Brown spots in veins. Affects lower leaves in sequence. Dark shiny spots in margins on other leaves

Microscope pics of lesions;

3QhOCDdl.jpg

P6x8GIpl.jpg

ihBQqv0l.jpg

So my question is, are these problems still the over-fert? I can't find any matching symptoms in my searching. Or is there another problem here that was compounded by the over fert?

I'm going to try leaching the soil today, giving it a massive flush with water for an hour or two outside with the hose. Don't want to have to repot again.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to your speculation.

They were originally repotted around three months ago, at the start of our southern hemisphere spring, into a potting mix with slow release fertilizer to which I added more slow release to. I repotted from that into new mix (which came with slow release fert in it) about a month ago again, as I suspected over fertilization.

I have added no nutes since then. None of the other plants appear to show signs of nutrient deficiency.

I generally wait until they wilt before watering them. 

Fertilized the TS with an organic fertilizer. but still having a problem, here is a further pic of affected leaves.

All plants all now producing fruit in any case. Cheers Smokin Hot.

vuJqfTb.jpg

I would suggest overwatering too. If this is correct it is robbing the roots of oxygen and won't allow the nutrients to be absorbed. So it could be a nutrient deficiency caused by the roots being constantly damp. Tip the plant out of the pot and see it the root ball is sodden. Hope it helps. Good luck

Back