seeds Yes, got my Carolina Reaper seeds...

I want to start afew seeds off right away.. Even though i know there wont be any peppers till next year..  But would it even be worth starting now and wintering it this fall and then repotting it early this coming spring?

Thoughts?

I just asked this question.  Here is the response I received.

What does your growing season look like in South Dakota?  And would you attempt to grow them indoors or outdoors?

dmoore714 said:
I just asked this question.  Here is the response I received.

What does your growing season look like in South Dakota?  And would you attempt to grow them indoors or outdoors?

Big difference for outside gardening though. We are in the southeast where the heat stays and he is up in south Dakota where I imagine it gets cold earlier and longer (and colder).

But as for an answer to indoor gardening for the both of you, "why not?" is my answer also. :P

Dmoore the growing season is ok..  It gets hot hot during the summer but this year got off to a late start..  I had a ghost pepper plant i started and it didnt sprout till mid june for whatever reason.. I did have another ghost pepper plant i started last july and its turning out great..  But it all depends on when it starts to get cold enough to start wintering my plants prolly mid september if im lucky it will stay above 70 during the day till the beginning of oct.

I grew my first ghost plant indoors till june then i introduced it to the outdoors slowly. now it sits out there all day every day..  I just replanted it in a 5 gallon planter about 3 or 4 days ago.. Havnt seen any signs of growth yet.. but im sure it will take afew weeks for it to adjust. 

Sow those seeds buddy! If you're going to overwinter it, then there's no reason not too. Just make sure that you are prepared to care for them over the long haul. Here's a few things to get you started

This is the Community Carolina Reaper grow log

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34199-carolina-reaper-hp22b-community-grow/?p=695528

Here's a guide to Overwintering (take what you need from it, as you won't be digging up your plant)

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/25596-the-comprehensive-guide-to-over-wintering/?p=514824

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

I started my Reapers pretty early this season, and haven't had much success with the few I got to germ.  I could have got bad seeds, or it could be the genetics of the plant just aren't stable enough to be a big, robust, hearty plant yet.

I'm planning on overwintering mine, since I doubt the plant is going to produce this season... but you never know I suppose.  I guess I just don't find it that unusual, considering chinense take a long time anyway, and it is certainly on the extreme end of things.

Back