• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yet Another DIY LED thread

Hello all!

Have been lurking around here for a little while, as I have recently started indoor growing of peppers. The climate here is way too harsh for outdoor growing :( I have realised I need proper lights, and was inspired by the many DYI LED threads here. There are already quite a few of those threads, but I think I have something new to contribute to this topic. :lol:

Every information I have found about DYI LEDs, both here and other places on the net, have one thing in common - they all use a 12V power source. What's wrong with that? Nothing, but it's not optimal. When using 12V, most of the available LEDs have a voltage that requires a resistor for every series of LEDs, if you want to avoid massive over or under powering. By matching the power supply one will be able to get the correct voltage for each LED without any resistors.

Additionally, trying to get my hands on a cheap 12V power supply able to output more than a few mV was impossible. Then it struck me: What about using an outdated laptop power supply? These are available in many different voltages up to 24V (maybe even more), and can output very high currents.

For my test project, I had already ordered red and blue LEDs from Hong Kong. These were rated at 1,9/2,2V (optimum/max) for the red ones and 3,3/3,9 for the blue ones. I have a 16V IBM power laying around, but this will not match very well for the blue ones (a series of 4 gives 4V each and 5 gives 3,2V). Luckily, a friend of mine had an abandoned Dell supply rated at 20V, with 75W output. Perfect! This gives 2V for the red ones (series of 10) and 3,33V for the blue ones (series of 6). I just spent a few hours soldering 50 red LEDs and 30 blue ones to an experinment board, and to my delight it works just as intended.

I hope this is an inspiration to other people wanting to create their own DIY LED light :)

PICS!

Sounds awesome though. I've been thinking about doing this myself. I should probably quit thinking and just do it, others seem to be getting great results.

I like the idea of DIY people. It will force companies to lower their prices to a realistic level. $35 for a 14 watt, 225 bulb panel? That's robbery.

Prediction: by this time next year, we'll be able to buy 100 watt LED panels that cover the same area as a 1000 watt HID for less than $200, ones that allow the user to dial up the exact spectrum of light wanted.

That's all that kept me from using them this year. I would need 36 14-watt panels or the equivalent in higher power panels. The cost would have been in excess of two grand, compared with the $320 for the 105 watt CFL bulbs.

Mike

BillyIdle said:
Hello all!

Have been lurking around here for a little while, as I have recently started indoor growing of peppers. The climate here is way too harsh for outdoor growing :( I have realised I need proper lights, and was inspired by the many DYI LED threads here. There are already quite a few of those threads, but I think I have something new to contribute to this topic. :lol:

Every information I have found about DYI LEDs, both here and other places on the net, have one thing in common - they all use a 12V power source. What's wrong with that? Nothing, but it's not optimal. When using 12V, most of the available LEDs have a voltage that requires a resistor for every series of LEDs, if you want to avoid massive over or under powering. By matching the power supply one will be able to get the correct voltage for each LED without any resistors.

Additionally, trying to get my hands on a cheap 12V power supply able to output more than a few mV was impossible. Then it struck me: What about using an outdated laptop power supply? These are available in many different voltages up to 24V (maybe even more), and can output very high currents.

For my test project, I had already ordered red and blue LEDs from Hong Kong. These were rated at 1,9/2,2V (optimum/max) for the red ones and 3,3/3,9 for the blue ones. I have a 16V IBM power laying around, but this will not match very well for the blue ones (a series of 4 gives 4V each and 5 gives 3,2V). Luckily, a friend of mine had an abandoned Dell supply rated at 20V, with 75W output. Perfect! This gives 2V for the red ones (series of 10) and 3,33V for the blue ones (series of 6). I just spent a few hours soldering 50 red LEDs and 30 blue ones to an experinment board, and to my delight it works just as intended.

I hope this is an inspiration to other people wanting to create their own DIY LED light :)

hey billy, sound like the same kind of thing i am doing what is the spec on your leds mcd degree ece also how many are you useing and how big are the leds ?,this will be intresting i will say to you i would check with one led at a time because if you over power them you will blow the led and if you are useing more than one they will all blow. good luck keep the pics comeing in

Time for some pics!

The front and back
imgp4994.jpg

imgp4996.jpg

This next picture shows the alignment of the red and blue LEDs
imgp4991.jpg

And one final picture showing the plant I'm testing this on. This is a Super Chile F1
imgp5012.jpg

LED specs:

Red: 12.000 mcd, ± 15°
Blue: 15.000 mcd, ± 20°

The wave length is unfortunattely unknown.

BillyIdle said:
Time for some pics!

The front and back
imgp4994.jpg

imgp4996.jpg

This next picture shows the alignment of the red and blue LEDs
imgp4991.jpg

And one final picture showing the plant I'm testing this on. This is a Super Chile F1
imgp5012.jpg

LED specs:

Red: 12.000 mcd, ± 15°
Blue: 15.000 mcd, ± 20°

The wave length is unfortunattely unknown.

ahh this will be intresting to see how it goes your leds aint pumping put very many lumens mind you but still sure it will be fine heres a calulator http://led.linear1.org/lumen.wiz

red per led . lumens 0.645
blue per led. lumens 1.432

This is just the first version. When I ordered the LEDs I ordered more blue than red, and realised afterwards that it should have been the other way around. Just after I received these, and after confirming that they worked, I ordered 100 more red ones. When these arrives, I will add more LEDs to this panel, as well as making a new copy of this, with a total og 150 red and 50 blue. Hopefully this will be enough for 2-3 plants.

BillyIdle said:
This is just the first version. When I ordered the LEDs I ordered more blue than red, and realised afterwards that it should have been the other way around. Just after I received these, and after confirming that they worked, I ordered 100 more red ones. When these arrives, I will add more LEDs to this panel, as well as making a new copy of this, with a total og 150 red and 50 blue. Hopefully this will be enough for 2-3 plants.

you must be geting them very cheap what do you buy them in the 100 or 1000, also a normal 100w bulb give out 1,700 lumens so you will need well my calulator is not working but you will need rather alot but im not sure how many lumens a plant needs any one know ?

The red ones cost $10 including postage. That's cheap for Norway anyway. 3000 mcd red leds costs about $1 a piece here!

I buy them in 50 and 100 packs. But it's in the norwegian store you can buy as many as you want. Discount is given though, if you buy 100+. But it's very expensive. The blue ones are even worse - about $2+ for one, and it's only rated 1000 mcd!

check this out...6000mcd for cheep.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/340500/LEDs/Ultrabright/1.html

$0.55 each
100 to 999 $0.45 each
1000 or more $0.30 each

On this page, I wonder if those strip lights would work, they have all the right colors anyways.

Here's a big one w/ 60 blue LED's for about $48.
image_product.height.500;width.500;modified.1207857238.LS-48B.jpg

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/360/Light-fixtures/1.html

More intereesting perhaps is they carry the new Cree XLamp(TM) LED's...those are 1 Watt babies.

Cree XLamp(TM) 7090WRD. Extremely high-brightness white LED, capable of operating at 1 Watt and above. Long-life, solid-state, low-voltage and current light, ideal for architectural, landscaping, advertising and entertainment applications. The surface mount LED is mounted on a 0.80" diameter aluminum disk which serves as a heatsink and provides solder spots to simplify connection.Note: These are new parts. Because of their sensitivity to misuse, we cannot guarantee them after voltage has been applied.

34/ 55 Lumens @ 350/ 700 mA
100 degree viewing angle
Maximum forward voltage: 4 Vdc
Maximum forward current: 350/ 700 mA

Also available in white (CAT# LED-110), green (CAT# LED-111), blue (CAT# LED-112) and amber (CAT# LED-113).

Link and info. here.

Considering that 1000 mcd is approximately equal to 1 lumen..that's a lot of juice.
Nifty stuff. :)

Oh, here's another site taht's fun: http://www.ledsupply.com/index.php

Cheers,

-QS

Time for an update. I was not happy with the number of LEDs I could fit on the board, so I decided for a rearrangement. The new pattern I have made has one drawback: I have to trim off some plastic on all but two LEDs for each group of one colour. Another factor that slowed down the progress was that I had to re-use the board, as I can't get hold of a new one locally (living far out on the countryside). That meant I had to de-solder the whole board.

Below are some images, where the first shows the rearrangement in progress.
imgp5162.jpg

imgp5166.jpg

imgp5168.jpg

The board now counts 224 LEDs, 140 reds and 84 blues. Total power consumption meassured to 13,4W.

I plan to use this board for the entire fatalii competition. If I need more light, I there is still room for 3 more rows of LEDs, or 96 pieces. I haven't added these, as I don't have them.

BillyIdle said:
Time for an update. I was not happy with the number of LEDs I could fit on the board, so I decided for a rearrangement. The new pattern I have made has one drawback: I have to trim off some plastic on all but two LEDs for each group of one colour. Another factor that slowed down the progress was that I had to re-use the board, as I can't get hold of a new one locally (living far out on the countryside). That meant I had to de-solder the whole board.

Below are some images, where the first shows the rearrangement in progress.
imgp5162.jpg

imgp5166.jpg

imgp5168.jpg

The board now counts 224 LEDs, 140 reds and 84 blues. Total power consumption meassured to 13,4W.

I plan to use this board for the entire fatalii competition. If I need more light, I there is still room for 3 more rows of LEDs, or 96 pieces. I haven't added these, as I don't have them.

wow that must have taken along long time to solder :shocked: how big is it, 13.4w seems alot but its a lot of leds i supose hope it works well

Gary18 said:
wow that must have taken along long time to solder :shocked: how big is it, 13.4w seems alot but its a lot of leds i supose hope it works well

Yeah! I guess it took at least 10 hours, if not 15. Hope it's worth it. The size of the board is 10x16 cm (3,9"x6,3"), so I assume that it should be kept at least 4" from the top of the canopy.

Back