• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Yet another ID please

I saw this plant at a local nursury listed as an "ornamental pepper" and I bought it. On the way home I notice the tag says not edible, ornimental only.

However, one customer stopped me and said she makes jelly out of hers, and a worker said to me that they are really hot and didnt say anything about not eating them.

Two questions.

1) Anyone know what type of pepper this is?? It looks like a fish pepper or something but I have no idea.

2) Are they edible? Whats the deal with the tag... maybe they need a license to be able to sell food rather then plants or some weird legal loophole?

Thanks!!

The only reason I might not eat it would be that it might have had a systemic bug poison or something else used on it since it says not to eat it...

It could be :

Chile Chile
Explosive Ignite
Goivy
Holiday Flame
Medusa
Riot

I think some of these might be different names for the same thing.

Ive heard about the systemic pesticide thing.... I returned it as I really dont want to be eating peppers with poison in them continously. Im sure Im being overly cautious about it but I dont want to take the risk. Now though ... I wanna find out what the hell it is so I can get some seeds! lol.

Sounds like the general consensus is medusa??

The only reason I might not eat it would be that it might have had a systemic bug poison or something else used on it since it says not to eat it...

That makes a lot of sense, mass grow them for ornamental purposes, feed them a shot of systemic so they hold up in people's landscapes, then add the little disclaimer.

If that's the case i wouldn't take the chance either, maybe on the latest pods but why bother when no one says anything good about their taste anyway.

Back