• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Yet another leaf question!

I'm thinking this could be nutrient burn. Honestly that's what I think it is but nutes burn normally appear more in the edges than the middle. Mine are showing more symptoms in the middle than edges.

Can anybody confirm if I'm right or wrong?

For sure I know it's not cal/mag deficiency. They have plenty of that.

img2226u.jpg

img2227z.jpg

img2221sz.jpg

img2220y.jpg

Sorry slashroot I can not confirm it, but I think it is not nutrient burn I found this http://roots.psu.edu/en/book/export/html/177 look under the potassium deficency.

Sure a lot of interesting information there, thanks for sharing. How could it be potassium though. I didn't tell they are in hydroponic system. They should have good amount of potassium available and all the other important trace elements. I believe my EC is too high which made me believe I am nutrient burning them. EC at 2.0 should be too high I think?

I will lower my nutrients and see what it does, if any.

Thanks for trying to check things up for me :) I'm not dismissing your suggestion of course!

Lol no worries yea the other post I updated was with hydroponic system, since I just recalled your grow setup.

I noticed you updated your previous post, another great link. I'll sure read through the information there, see if my brain gets any smarter at all haha

Just for an updated, I just diluted my reservoir minutes ago. I have lowered the EC from 2000~ to 1400~.

I just finished reading through that whole page. I've added it to my bookmarks, best deficiency page I've seen :)

The chlorosis on the leaves of the Sulphur deficient plant looks a little bit similar to the spots on mine. It's sure not like I can say it's sulphur because that's in my general hydroponics nutrients.

Hard to find pictures that are exact match to what my leaves look like.

I wouldn't have thought an ec of 2.0 is too high. I've had one f1 super chili at 2.4 and occasionally higher with no burn and one other chili at 3.0 and higher and except for being starved of light between my tomato and brocoli it did ok.

Hi chinamon,
After growing chiles hydroponically for several years, I can recommend a PH from 5.8-6.3 as ideal. In fact best is to get it down to just under 6 and let it go somewhat over 6 before you correct (or replace nutrient). A standard EC would be from 1.3-1.8, depending on plant size, kind, specie or pod size. Your Jalapeños are supposed to be a fast growing variety with a rather big pod size and for them I'd say to go up until 1.8. Convert to your ppm by the appropriate factor in case. More important is to choose the right nutrient that focusses on Potassium as for tomatoes or night shade (no vegetative or lettuce formula). Start your seedlings with 0.5-0.8 mS/cm and increase gradually. Any product that comes close enough to:
N=160-180 ppm
P= 30-50 ppm
K= 250-280 ppm
Ca= 150-180ppm
Mg= 35-50 ppm
S= 50-90 ppm
+All needed trace elements
-is suited for hot peppers and as well as for your Jalapeños. In case you are not familiar with elemental ppm, ask the manufacturer, he/she is supposed to be.
Anyway, make the total of the ppm in the formula, add 10% and you'll see that you stay clearly under 1000 ppm. No need to feed any higher concentration, just trust me.
As for replacing or toping off, there is in fact no such thing as a standard procedure. All depend on evaporation/consumption, PH and EC fluctuations. You either have a smaller reservoir and replace the whole content every week, or have a larger and top off and/or replace only after about 2 weeks (+). The more PH and EC fluctuations you have got, (which is most likely to happen with a smaller reservoir), the more you have to correct PH and EC. Much of the PH sability will depend on your tap water quality anyway. If the PH is too high (after adding the nutrients) in the first place, think of using different water.
Work out your own nutrient strategy according to your water quality (PH), reservoirs size and consumption/evaporation in ways you have not too much fluctuations - but do not need to step in too much either.
Cheers,
Lucas

I wouldn't have thought an ec of 2.0 is too high. I've had one f1 super chili at 2.4 and occasionally higher with no burn and one other chili at 3.0 and higher and except for being starved of light between my tomato and brocoli it did ok.

Interesting so you've been that high without any signs of problems. I'm using the lucas formula that is aimed at general hydroponics nutrients. He recommends an ec of 1.3 to 1.8.

I've quoted his post for reference.

Anybody else running this high in EC?

Back