• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Yet Another tiny Bug Question

I was just outside trying to pollinate my hab with an artist brush when I spotted something that concerned me. While i was brushing the the flower a small red bug crawled out of the flower. It was less that a milimeter long and narrow. It was too small to make out details and far too small to take a picture. It was only in one of the flowers so far. Any ideas what this might be? Do I need to worry about it? If so, how do I treat? Sorry about the sketchy details, but even with my 20/20 vision the only reason I knew it was a bug and not a speck of some sort was because I saw it move on its own.

I figured better safe than sorry and plucked the flower since it seemed to be the only one affected. There were actually two of them in that flower. They weren't chiggers. I'm unfortunately familiar with those little bastidges from boy scout camping trips. It had a straight body about half maybe even a third of the diameter of the flower stamen. Upon closer examination with the flower off the plant, I could discern two body segments of not quite equal length with the back segment being slightly longer.

I've got another mysterious bug, but at least i got pictures this time. First time I saw one it on the top of a leaf and I thought it was a spatter of bird crap til I noticed the antennae. They tend not to move until I grab hold of them, and pulling them of the leaf takes about the same amount of pull as taking a tick after it's embedded. I find about one of these a day on my plants. Any ideas anyone?

strange bug by Yemtol, on Flickr

Strange Bug by Yemtol, on Flickr

Edit: just realized the time on my camera is set wrong. These were taken yesterday afternoon.

Back