• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

You know what really grinds my gears?!?

general contractors are honestly some of the dumbest people ive ever met.

we had one saw cut and trench out like 11 private driveways along a farm to market road... in ONE DAY. plans called for bore and jacking with 1" nominal oversized sleeves.

the guy could not understand why sawcutting and trenching out peoples driveway aprons was fucking retarded. he though that because it was in the state ROW, he could do what ever he wanted... it still makes no fucking sense to me what so ever.

txdot went ape shit and we had to generate strutural repair details for all these concrete driveways lol...

Friends getting butt hurt over us having to change out of town NYE plans on short notice, and then blaming us because the party wound up being a bust.  Apparently not being able to leave town overnight because the mother-in-law slipped on some ice and injured her arm was just an excuse we made up.

If that's how they really feel, then I'm glad their 2017 is off to a shitty start.  I guess bringing in the New Year by sleeping peacefully in my own bed wound up being the better option.

Here's a gear grinder: Friends and relatives that take hours or even days in many cases to respond to something you sent them via text/email/etc., but if you don't respond to them with 10 minutes because heaven forbid, you take a shower or eat dinner, they're all over you like a cheap suit. That or they completely miss the important part and harp on something insignificant.

SadisticPeppers said:
Here's a gear grinder: Friends and relatives that take hours or even days in many cases to respond to something you sent them via text/email/etc., but if you don't respond to them with 10 minutes because heaven forbid, you take a shower or eat dinner, they're all over you like a cheap suit. That or they completely miss the important part and harp on something insignificant.
No comment, but....

... gott damm right.

Tomorrow is Superbowl and we have been planning and advertising a buffalo wing special at our bar/restaurant for the game. Our fryer just bit the dust. No time to order a new one before the game. Looks like I'm going old school with a grease filled pot on the burner. Should be fun keeping temps in check all night.

Pariah said:
Tomorrow is Superbowl and we have been planning and advertising a buffalo wing special at our bar/restaurant for the game. Our fryer just bit the dust. No time to order a new one before the game. Looks like I'm going old school with a grease filled pot on the burner. Should be fun keeping temps in check all night.

Put them on sheet trays and par bake them all, and just deep fry to crisp to order, then sauce. You will save yourself a lot of headache and potential grease fires.

The Hot Pepper said:

Put them on sheet trays and par bake them all, and just deep fry to crisp to order, then sauce. You will save yourself a lot of headache and potential grease fires.
I was actually thinking about that earlier. It would be one thing to do at home with a pot where I can watch it like a hawk, but anyone who has ever worked in a commercial kitchen knows that you end up doing 10 things at once.

Found a good deal on a new fryer, though. $506 on clearance instead of $1300.

I'd love to have a stand alone fryer with auto filtering, but most of those things cost my monthly salary and then some! Doing a lot of upgrades on this place, but it's one piece at a time. Already bought brand new grill, burners and hood. That was $30k! After fryer I need a new refrigerated make table and then I want a walk in freezer. I hate digging in these chest freezers and need more space.

Scoville, not sure what you are getting at, but commercial grade restaurant equipment is insanely overpriced. Our mixer alone would have cost us almost $15,000 if we had purchased new. That's as much as a decent used car!

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/hobart-hcm450-62-4-45-qt-vertical-cutter-mixer-with-knife-and-knead-attachments-230-60-3-phase-5-hp/425HCM45062.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KEQiAt9vEBRDQmPSow-q5gs8BEiQAaWSEDnMWQ1mqwhkeqzhmZw_XBzzqhHBBszAC713WkkzrFtAaAjvn8P8HAQ

$506 is a steal for the fryer as most comparable models go for $1,300-2,000. Glad I found it on clearance. Should be here in a week or so.

Advertising wasn't much. Local papers, flyers and online. It's small town, so word travels fast.

Restaurants go out of business all the time. A buddy of mine bought an entire kitchen for $15K. Quad Fryer, Oven, 6burners, 4' Flatop and even the 6' sink. It's something to keep an eye out for. Unfortunately, those "going out of business" sales never happen when you need something. :mope:

Scoville, we've been keeping an eye out. It would be awesome to find some gently used equipment, like a refrigerated prep table. I'd kill for one of those! Unfortunately there aren't any deals to be found locally because it's all small towns (usually less than 2,000 people) spread far apart that just have one or two established businesses that have no chance of failure due to being a monopoly. Meeteetse, for example, has 327 people and is 35 miles from the nearest town, so our only competition is the bar next door which might get half the business we do because of their size. Other than that, we have a gas station, a post office and a herd of mule deer... Exactly why we moved here. Geographic isolation.

Snotty nurses who enjoy making snide comments and arguing with you.

Listen, young lady, you are like 2 months out of nursing school. You don't know crap yet and making rude comments under your breath about having my sister meeting her nephew for the first time is highly inappropriate. I promise you don't want to ride that train.

Hey man, it's the birth of your child, you can't let anything like that get to you, you have to be supportive for the wifey and shrug all that off, and enjoy your new son, congrats! :cheers:

New fancy bath towels! I mean wtf are they making these things outta, new born angora sheep?!? They are so friggen soft and plush they feel like they are just rubbing the water around not pulling it off your body. Oh how I miss the days of a cheap crispy line dried towel, you could just feel it sucking the water off ya.

hogleg said:
New fancy bath towels! I mean wtf are they making these things outta, new born angora sheep?!? They are so friggen soft and plush they feel like they are just rubbing the water around not pulling it off your body. Oh how I miss the days of a cheap crispy line dried towel, you could just feel it sucking the water off ya.
Amen to that! I love those good old crispy towels that you hold onto for years despite them being frayed to hell with more holes than towel... Then the wife throws them away without notice... :(

Everytime I drive anywhere: Got my cruise control set to the speed limit (70mph).

Trucker blows my doors off passing me at close to the speed of light, almost takes out oncoming traffic and a mile marker in the process.

After passing, said truck (who still can't maintain staying in their lane) proceeds to slow down to 10-20mph under the speed limit and speeds up only in passing zones (which always seem to contain oncoming traffic despite not seeing a car for miles prior).

Back