You MUST have an extreme sauce...

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
If you are a hot sauce company, in my opinion, you MUST have an extreme sauce if you want to be talked about and frequented by chiliheads. This could be the key to your success. You may have some great flavorful, somewhat hot sauces, but chiliheads are likely to skip your product line entirely. Usually they will try the extreme sauce, and then look at what else you have to offer. If you are a small company that offers great flavorful sauces, and are wondering why they are not selling, try adding an extreme sauce, and let the chilihead community know about it. This is just my opinion! I am an observer, not a professional sauce maker.

thehotpepper.com said:
If you are a hot sauce company, in my opinion, you MUST have an extreme sauce if you want to be talked about and frequented by chiliheads. This could be the key to your success. You may have some great flavorful, somewhat hot sauces, but chiliheads are likely to skip your product line entirely. Usually they will try the extreme sauce, and then look at what else you have to offer. If you are a small company that offers great flavorful sauces, and are wondering why they are not selling, try adding an extreme sauce, and let the chilihead community know about it. This is just my opinion! I am an observer, not a professional sauce maker.

Excellent point. I agree for the most part. Even though Fat Kid Sauces has an EXTREME, it is not what a true chili-head would call EXTREME. It is extreme for the masses, but not for a true Chili-head. We are working on a true chili-heaad extreme as we speak.

That being said, I have many chili-heads who LOVE my MEDIUM. Buy it buy the quarts, and soon the gallon.

Hey Huv! When can I expect the sample of the Mango? While yer at it, go ahead and add the xxxxtreme sample! Please make my samples the gallon size. I have a really big spoon. Thanks man!

thehotpepper.com said:

Good point Admin. Btw, even if you're not a professional sauce maker (yet), you are a professional observer.

Have I told you that I have a prototype extract based sauce available? :lol:

You Know THP..I agree with you BUT as for experience on all the shows we do, only 5% of the people asks for "gimme the hottest you got" so...it is worth spend the extra money for an extreme..?
We will see when the red savina salsa comes out...I will respond with a true answer to this thread then.

Cap said:
are[/I] a professional observer.

Have I told you that I have a prototype extract based sauce available? :lol:

I want, I want! :)

marcosauces said:
You Know THP..I agree with you BUT as for experience on all the shows we do, only 5% of the people asks for "gimme the hottest you got" so...it is worth spend the extra money for an extreme..?
We will see when the red savina salsa comes out...I will respond with a true answer to this thread then.

The extreme buyers is a smaller percentage than the buyers of mild products, yes, but they are also loyal buyers who will try your whole product line if they like the extreme, and tell others about it, because they are chiliheads, but first you have to attract them. That's my point.

Of course! We all eat salsas, jalapeno sauces, sweet sauces, BBQ sauces...

I'm not saying they are going to buy mild, I'm saying they will try all your hot products.

I agree that the local show peeps do mostly look for the milder heat levels, and from my experience they are mostly female. My online buyers are a higher percentage male, and purchase the "hottest" we have. Two different markets. So yes it's worth the time and expense to produce a HOT product. Marco your Red Savina Salsa is a wonderful example of a very well balanced product for the chilehead crowd in my opinion. Lots of heat and flavor!
The admin is spot on with his analysis of the "chilehead" buyer's loyalty. Male and female make up this group of customers.

Yes Cap'n i agree and thats why it will be in manufacturing soon.
See we have experience with the locals, not many extreme ppl in there as you say. As far as the chilihead crowd, we will see right after the product goes retail, i hope you two are right..:lol:

I agree that that salsa is your extreme product, so if I am correct, you have nothing to worry about. :) It's really good stuff!

Possible scenarios...

Chilihead 1: I heard Marco's Not Yet Famous Salsas are really good!

Chilihead 2: Really? I'll have to try them sometime.

Never orders.

OR

Chilihead 1: I heard Marco's Not Yet Famous Red Savina Salsa is the hottest you can get. It will burn your tongue off!

Chilihead 2: I don't believe that, salsas are never hot. I've got to try this!

Chilihead 1: How was that salsa?

Chilihead 2: Wow, now that's a salsa for a chilihead, and it was a quality product. I'm going to try the rest of his stuff.

Get them interested, sort of on a dare, when they realize you have quality products, they will order more. Chiliheads love heat, but also care about quality and like an array of products, you just have to draw them in with the heat.

Well...what's "extreme"? I've got a pretty damn hot sauce, it's not "Dave's Insanity" hot, but it'll hold it's own...I think.

I gotta get my packages out for review........

DevilDuck said:
Well...what's "extreme"? I've got a pretty damn hot sauce, it's not "Dave's Insanity" hot, but it'll hold it's own...I think.

I gotta get my packages out for review........
Insanely hot. Are you going to call it "Hot" or have some slogan like "This sh*t will burn warts off toads"... the latter would be extreme. :)

Hmmmmm, I guess I am surrounded by mutants in NJ. A majority of our sales around here are for our extreme, the #1. We had such a calling for it this past year that we were alomost forced to double the size of the bottle AND make it 25% hotter. At the Fiery Foods show, by far, we gave out the most samples of the #1, and had the endless lemming wave of people with automatonic phrase, "Gimme the hottest you got", which I of course didn't mind doing.

Back