You MUST have an extreme sauce...

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
If you are a hot sauce company, in my opinion, you MUST have an extreme sauce if you want to be talked about and frequented by chiliheads. This could be the key to your success. You may have some great flavorful, somewhat hot sauces, but chiliheads are likely to skip your product line entirely. Usually they will try the extreme sauce, and then look at what else you have to offer. If you are a small company that offers great flavorful sauces, and are wondering why they are not selling, try adding an extreme sauce, and let the chilihead community know about it. This is just my opinion! I am an observer, not a professional sauce maker.

DEFCON Creator said:
Maybe, haven't decided yet. The next Batch of ZERO will be exponentially hotter than the previous as we found (by accident) a method to concentrate it.

:P Damn, now I have something ELSE of yours that I will have to beg and pled and hope for?

Arizona Jack said:
Now the EXTREME sauce thing.
I myself do not at all like extract sauces, in my opinion, the extract ruins any taste.

A.J. - Here is what I discoved regarding this comment. I conducted a tasted-tesing comparison against a couple of dozen famous and not so famous (not you Marco!) hot sauces ranging from Tabasco up to ones you hear from in the various BLOGs, who will remain un-named. The bottom line is we found most of the makers utilizing extracts as a heat ingredient have not first leaned how to formulate a quality recipe for the sauce base. Thus the taste, and worse the smell ( btw 76% of a human's taste experience in in the olfactory system) of the extracts when added dominate the finished product. I can say the same about vinegar.

Have you logged in to my Branding Iron Foods site yet to request a taster sample of Blazin'-Hot Sauce? If not, please do. I would like you to taste what I mean. My first ingredient is vinegar, but it doesn't stand out in the nose or flavor. I use a special blend of extracts and essential chili oils to gain a high heat, but it doesn't stick out in the nose or flavor. Why? Because the base sauce is a very complicated, well developed recipe that can stand up to vinegar and extracts!

My point here is the same drum I have been beating since I first joined - potential new makers (and some old ones) need to do better R&D, especially in the use of a tricky ingredient like chili extract. Success is marketing! Marketing begins with well done R&D! - E.Z.

I have to agree with Earl on this one. Extract is indeed a tricky little fellow. Alone, the standard industrial-made extract tastes nasty at best, and can permeate the flavor of a product quite easily. It took us a while to figure out how to avoid that from happening, and with our Defense Condition #1 I think we've accomplished just that. Also, when playing around with the stuff, please take care to protect yourself from it, it's quite unforgiving.

DEFCON Creator said:
I have to agree with Earl on this one. Extract is indeed a tricky little fellow. Alone, the standard industrial-made extract tastes nasty at best, and can permeate the flavor of a product quite easily. It took us a while to figure out how to avoid that from happening, and with our Defense Condition #1 I think we've accomplished just that. Also, when playing around with the stuff, please take care to protect yourself from it, it's quite unforgiving.

If I am there Sunday which it seems that way as of now I will be purchasing Defcon 1.. If its great as it seems to be from the feedback, you can be sure to add me on your list of consumers for 0 when its ready.

Cheers

DEFCON Creator said:
Also, when playing around with the stuff, please take care to protect yourself from it, it's quite unforgiving.

:) Ah, yes - you quickly learn to wash your hands both BEFORE and after hitting the head (even if you are wearing poly gloves) - E.Z.

E.Z. Earl said:
DD - I have developed into a pretty fair camp cook, but I still work my new formulas through a small team of tasters who advise me of how it needs to be tweeked.

I work with 5 other guys on shift at the Fire Station and I am considered "the cook", I run all my "good" and "bad" experiments by them before I even think of marketing anything. Works out great...big believer in what E.Z. is saying.

Back