• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Your Favorite Peppers?

I came here to pick up some ideas on growing a few peppers, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T,
Habanero, Serrano and California Wonder. Now, thanks to your ramblings, I've started:
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Bhut Jolokia
Caribbean Red
Habanero
Cayenne
Serrano
Jalapeno
Anaheim
Douce D'Espagne
California Wonder

My wife is pissed! She says, "Just grow the things we can use and don't wast the time and water on bullshit!"

So, could you please suggest your top choices of peppers that I should grow along with these?

I was going to say throw a Fresno in there and call it a day, but I bet you get those at the market readily out there. That's a pretty good list already I'd say!

habanero are my favorite, each variation has a slightly different smell and flavor.
others i like are cardi, yellow bhuts, manzano..

red, ripe jalapenos and pinocchio cayennnes are the most edible "hot" peppers. The pinocchio cayennes are incredibly sweet and flavorful, as well as being vigorous growers and prolific fruiters. The peppers are nearly a foot lonf and an inch in diameter. The plants will have sparse leaves while being packed, nay, drooping with 18 huge peppers at a time.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33123-what-is-your-favorite-tasting-pepper/page__st__20#entry676011

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/31016-whats-your-favorite-pepper-chili/page__hl__%22favorite+pepper%22

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/17488-whats-your-favorite-pepper/page__hl__%22favorite+pepper%22

just search for "favorite pepper"

If I am reading you right, you live in a dry area...desert?...just remember, some varieties take more water than others...during my hot summer months, I give my plants 8-12 ounces three times a day and they are in good draining soil in 5 gallon containers...and when you grow the numbers I have in the past it takes a lot of water...

if you want a good hot jalapeno, get some billy bikers...if you can't get them at HD or Lowes, they are a Burpee product and produce mass quantities of great tasting hot jalapenos..

good luck in your grow...

Nice list HT...Keep it small and manageable your first season...You've got a good range of flavors there. Take good care of them, and good luck! You're in the right place.

I love Hole Mole' pasilla peppers (an F1 I believe)
Manzano's
sun dried jalapenos red!

Early in the season my bhuts were mild. I really kind of liked them.

Tastes change when you dry or sun dry peppers. My wife's favorite pepper for cooking is the dried habanero.

Hot:Armageddon,Spikes,Kaval, 7 Pod brown,7 Pod yellow brain strain,, 7 Pod Primo,Morado,Mili Habanero,Fatalii yellow,Arivivi/Aribibi Gusano,Red Dominican Habanero

Sweet: Ekstaza,Strizanka,Slonovo uvo,Ancient sweet,Super Shepard,Spanish paprika

Texas Chilepequin/tepin by far. Then tied for second would be Fatalii & aji lemon drop. Can't beat pequins when it comes to flavor they're just so small they can be tedious to work with. The fatalii & the lemon drops are both delicious. The lemon drops are the mildest of the bunch but still hot & they're incredibly sweet. Even more so when dried into powder, its like hot sugar.

Piquin, Chiltepin and all the in between variants are my favorite. They are good green, red, dried, toasted, roasted, fried, pickled . . .

Back