misc Your Most Popular Sauce?

What is your best selling sauce?

(If the name doesn't describe the sauce, feel free to give a brief description)

I've heard the milder sauces are the best sellers and I am curious if this holds true in the niche markets as well.

Considering I haven't sold a single bottle yet, none.  But off the books / freebees / donations and stuff I've made for people, my most popular was the one I went ahead and produced as my first real production sauce.

Sam & Oliver's Cinder Habanero hot sauce.  It's a butternut - habanero hot sauce with a good mouth feel and won't ruin your day.  It's spicier than your normal wing sauce and pretty versatile.  My other 2 popular ones I'm toying with going next are my Brainstrain Strawberry Preserves sauce and a spicy Rib BBQ sauce.

But now that I stop and look at it, the most popular is my most simple, versatile and not over-the-top heat.  hope it helps

My products sell evenly across the board. More people but the mild sauces, chileheads use more sauce. It's a balance.

It's pretty apparent this was a general question about heat levels.

Brand names/pimping specific products is kind of lame on this forum. :rolleyes:

Octang said:
What is your best selling sauce?

(If the name doesn't describe the sauce, feel free to give a brief description)

I've heard the milder sauces are the best sellers and I am curious if this holds true in the niche markets as well.

Are you thinking about going into the sauce business?  Curious as to why you're asking. 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:

Are you thinking about going into the sauce business?  Curious as to why you're asking. 

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering it. I had previously owned a food truck, and I've always been obsessed with hot sauces. I've missed being in the food biz and I've been lurking on here for the past year or so as I tweak my recipes and try to learn as much as I can about the process.

Turning this into anymore more than a dream is still a ways off, but I can't move forward if I don't keep learning. :)

There are niche markets within niche markets within niche markets. You have the extreme sauces. Nope, mild is not the best seller there. :P You have the farmers market sauces. Health conscious buyers looking for all-natural tasty sauces. You have the hot sauce emporiums, where novelty is king. You have the boutique sauces... like the craft beers, where most sales occur on their own sites. I'd say that's what we have the most of here, and it's not a bad question! I wonder what they sell the most of.

This is actually a very interesting question, but one I fear has no right or wrong answer. Like THP said, you have niche within niche, heat levels are subjective, what one finds hot another will barely sniff at. Tastes vary, and food trends vary not only nationally (and internationally) but also by region. There is no guarantee that a sauce which sells well in Florida will sell well in New York and vice versa. Then you have to add in the marketing to the mix, your sauce may be the greatest in the world, but if the label has no curb appeal, people will not even pick it off the shelf to try.

We currently have 4 sauces, a mild, a medium(ish) a hot and an xhot, at the markets they sell pretty much evenly across the board over a period of time (yes I'm the geek that keeps spreadsheets to track). The gift buyers will typically purchase the hottest. At different stores across the country one will always out sell the other, this varies per region and per store, perhaps this may be more to do with the sales person's particular tastes than anything else. The majority of restaurants that stock us, stock the two hottest. Our website sales are starting to even out, although slightly tipped in favor by the two hotter ones.

Of course, we haven't even been in business a year yet (October) and two of our 4 sauces have not even been on the shelves 6 months, so take what I say with a pinch of salt :rolleyes: .

Making the sauce is easy, selling the damn stuff....an intriguing game...

For the Fresh Salsa- 75% is mild-medium (0 to 3 out of 10 heat)
24% is Hot (5-6/10)
1% is superhot (8/10)

Those are chilehead heat levels.

Can't really say for the sauces because they are all different sauces, but most are in the 4-7/10 heat range.  Local sales of all the sauces are about the same for each variety for hot BBQ, medium Chipotle Hot Sauce, hot Ghost Fire Hot Sauce, medium Tropical,  

Well.... 5 out of 120....  guess that's 4.16% but then I'd have to alter all the rest of the numbers....

(too lazy~~~~)

Back