• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Your opinion on coir pots

So, what is up with coir pots?

They seem to be a great deal when being sold but I can't help but notice nearly nobody is actually using them.
The fact that they are more environmentally friendly is the first thing that really speaks to me, as gardeners I think it's kind of our responsibility to take care of nature in as many ways as possible.
They also look really easy to use, no need for overpotting or messing with rootballs, just put 'em in the ground and let them decompose with the added benefit of certain brands having some goods in their pots that'll help the peppers grow.

Only thing nobody ever really seems to talk about is watering, am I right in my assumption that bottomwatering coir pots will cause them to break down early/get soggy and possibly make your growing area a big mess? And what about normal watering, if you have your plants standing in them for 2 months, will the pots hold up well for that period of time? I'd like to ship a few plants to friends and family this year so I'm wondering if coir pots will be strong enough after 2 months to keep al the dirt locked in the pot...

I found I have some of the issues you mentioned when using them. Bottom watering doesn't work, and it is hard to keep plants at the right level of moisture. I actually had mold on some of my pots one year but I suspect it was as much my fault from over watering as the coir pots.

If you keep re-using the plastic pots they have very little environmental impact aside from their production. I have been using mine for years now and they will last almost indefinitely.

i have some 4" coir pots that i placed directly into larger pots, thinking i didn't have to mess with the root zone. wrong! the coir has never broken down. some over wintered plants that died, i pulled the plant to find the root never could penetrate the tightly woven coir. now, if i use coir pots i cut slices into the container before potting up to allow root movement.

I found I have some of the issues you mentioned when using them. Bottom watering doesn't work, and it is hard to keep plants at the right level of moisture. I actually had mold on some of my pots one year but I suspect it was as much my fault from over watering as the coir pots.

If you keep re-using the plastic pots they have very little environmental impact aside from their production. I have been using mine for years now and they will last almost indefinitely.

This leaves me a bit annoyed, you see I was tempted to start using coir pots as I intend to sell some seedlings next season and thought it would be great to use environmentally friendly pots as they'll be shipped off and possibly end up in the garbage.
But the downsides of coir pots seem to be a real barrier to maintain a reliable small business without cutting in ones own fingers. (for example: I really wouldn't have the time for overhead watering hundreds of plants every other day.)

Back