• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Yucatan White Hab dropping green leaves.

This morning before work I checked on my plants like I always do. My White Hab had some green leaves lying in the pot by the plant. I checked it for pests: none. No wilting, no yellowing or other discoloration, nothing. The leaves looked green and had a normal texture. I gently brushed the plant and more healthy-looking leaves fell off. This was not at the bottom of the plant, more towards the middle and top. There is new leaf growth coming in. Is this something that will pass, or is there something of concern? I did a search and found nothing specific.

Thanks.

Is it safe to assume the plant is outside? High winds or rain last night? Sometimes that or even animals will knock leaves off. If you're not finding any other symptoms over the next several days and it continues, may well be animals. I always seem to have one pot that something keeps digging in overnight - not the same situation you've described, but are there other signs an animal has been around?

A picture of the plant might help. What fertilizers are you using? Nitrogen deficiency can cause leaf abortion due to small stem formation.

@Geeme, no animals. No evidence any were around. Soil is untouched.

@Dave2000, just got a chance to take and upload a pic. See below. A couple of days ago I fertilized with Fox Farms Big Bloom, primarily for the worm castings and other organics. The rest of my plants really greened up afterwards. Well, not quite actually, this evening I checked them and now my Fatalii is dropping leaves. Same thing. Green healthy looking leaves. All the plants have been in full sun at 100+ temps. They are definitely not overwatered. Underwatered, if anything, but none of the leaves are wilted save for a couple of small ones on each plant. I moved them to a shady spot. I'll leave them there for a couple of days to see what they do. Any other thoughts?

White Hab:

sickhab.jpg

Fatalii:

sickfatalii.jpg

Ouch, I had the same problem with one of my white hab this year, this happened right after I gave it a high dose of fert

What did you use to fert? This started about two days after I used Fox Farms Big Bloom.

"Big Bloom[sup]™[/sup] Liquid Plant Food (0.01-0.3-0.7)
Natural and Organic Blossom Builder

This odorless, liquid fertilizer is a live culture of vitamins, amino acids, natural growth hormones, enzymes, and beneficial organic microbes. Our special, micro-brewed formula incorporates earthworm castings, bat guano and other high test organic ingredients that offer a full, balanced range of nutrients. Norwegian kelp improves nutrient uptake and increases yields. Rock phosphate helps transfer energy from one part of the plant to another, which means bigger buds and more fragrant flowers.

Garden tip: Big Bloom™ is ideal for all flowering and fruiting plants, and it’s safe enough to use every time you water. You’ll enjoy healthy, vigorous flowers and dramatically improved fruit and vegetable flavors. Best of all, Big Bloom™ will intensify flower fragrance, and it will increase essential oil production, which means stronger flavors in herbs, fruits, and vegetables. Use Big Bloom™ to extend your fruit and flowering season late into the year. And when a plant is struggling, a root drench of Big Bloom™ will bring it back to life.

For bumper crops and prize-winning blooms, try our Liquid Nutrient Trio Formulas for use in soil and hydroponic systems."

http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/products_liqfert1.html

Its kind of like compost tea in a bottle. My other plants loved it. I administered the same to all of them, all 3.7 gallon pots.

Maybe this was it, I don't knowl

For now, it is my white hab, fatalii, and black naga. They seem to have stabilized after cutting them back, but still look pretty bad. At least no more leaf drop.

When mine dropped healthy leaves, they were the lower ones, and it happened when temps were constantly up and down.... The younger and smaller plants just got yellow and droopy, the bigger ones dropped healthy looking leaves.... All but the seedlings recovered and the bigger ones started branching and budding soon after....

Back