• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Zapotec Jalapeno Memorial Group

I first found out about the Zapotec Jalapeno through Gary Montcalm aka windchicken .
I thought it only fitting that Beth Boyd be remembered in a memorial grow.
The story & history behind this Jalapeno is simply amazing!
I ordered mine form Jim Duffy & they are on there way now.

Description form Jim Duffy Site
. Zapotec Jalapeno-(Capsicum annuum)-The Zapotec Jalapeno is an Old World Jalapeno from Oaxaca, Mexico. It was one of the many older peppers that date back to the time of the Aztecs. But why you are seeing it now is because it has a story. I obtained mine from Louisiana grower and friend Gary Montcalm. But Gary found out about this pepper from Beth Boyd. So I, Jim Duffy have decided that this informational post about the Zapotec Jalapeno will be dedicated to the Memory and Legacy of the Chile Queen Beth Boyd. Beth was a native Houston, Texan. She passed away at the young age of 55 in October 2014. Beth Boyd had a website called Peppermania. On it you could find pepper seeds, BBQ supplies, spices and many other items. But Beth was not just another seller. Beth went to other countries especially Mexico and brought back seed varieties many of us never grew till she told us about them. Many were from Oaxaca region. The Chilhuacle types especially. Also Beth known as the "Chile Queen" was also called the "Aji Queen". Because she was one of the first people to expose us to the Aji pepper types. Beth also brought attention to the Foodarama Scotch Bonnet she discovered in a local store. Isn't it fascinating for you all to finally know who she is and the Legacy she passed onto us Chile growers and spicy food lovers! We need to always remember Beth! Now back to the Zapotec Jalapeno. Beth brought back this pepper from Oaxaca. It soon became her favorite Jalapeno and the only one she would grow in her garden. It has a smoky sweet flavor. It ripens from green to dark red and will get cracking lines lengthwise on the pepper skin. It has a high jalapeno heat level. Perfect for poppers or salsa but also just roasting as well. The Zapotec Jalapeno chile plants grow 2 to 3 feet tall. This was Beth's favorite Jalapeno. Because of her love for peppers and Chileheads you now can experience it. As I have said before there are more important things than the World's Hottest Pepper. The Memory and Legacy of Beth Boyd is more important. Please grow and share her story and enjoy the Zapotec Jalapeno!
http://store.myorganicseeds.com/Zapotec-Jalapeno-Pepper-Plants-P5246173.aspx

Love these peppers, and the story behind them. I was introduced to them by Gary last year, and they immediately became my favourite jalapeno. Awesome flavour, nice thick flesh and hotter than other jals I've tried.
I've got no pics atm, but have 6 plants in the ground, and first wave of pods have begun ripening.

Wow, thanks for doing this glog, Jason!!! And thanks so much for growing Beth's chile!!! I know she is grinning right now...❤

I hope you don't mind my posting this little video of my Zapotec plants, taken a couple weeks ago. They are loaded right now, so I'll make another ASAP:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCjonYzeY9c[/media]

windchicken said:
Well, damn, sorry about posting twice, Jason...Do you know how to delete one of them? I can't figure it out....
I believe you can edit. Just delete everything but one character. Period or some thing is still content. Should work. Post will still be there, it will only contain period or whatever you choose to leave.

windchicken said:
Wow, thanks for doing this glog, Jason!!! And thanks so much for growing Beth's chile!!! I know she is grinning right now...❤

I hope you don't mind my posting this little video of my Zapotec plants, taken a couple weeks ago. They are loaded right now, so I'll make another ASAP:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCjonYzeY9c[/media]
Thanks for posting the vid Gary the more the merrier!
I just hope my plants do beth proud!
My plan is to over winter them an save seed as well for next season
My other pepper plants are at moms so the these are isolated .

beth_zpsff7026ff.jpg

Beth at Open Fields circa 2003
 ​
`

windchicken said:
Here ya go, Jason. My Zapotec plants, today, June 5...

[media]https://youtu.be/AB4AOpUvpEw[/media]
Thanks Gary for the vid much appreciated!
My Zapotec's went/going through a adjustment since transplanted as well.
There was only one that lost it's leaves but the others are doing great .
I now have all my other pepper plants at moms so these are isolated & will begin ferts soon.

I was honoured to get sent seeds for Beth's Zapotec as a surprise with seeds for P. Dreadie select that Gary kindly hooked me up with, I already had Beth Boyd SB and Foodarama SB in my grow so was delighted to add another in Beth's memory.
Gary told me the whole story and i was hooked. I, ll grow all 3 every year without fail.
Anyway my Zapotec is loading up and look true to form , I'm excited. ;)

P.S. Iv never liked Jalapeno peppers to me there too bitter , but this whole story won me over , i,ll make poppers with ripe pods, and raise a glass to the Aji Queen. :cheers:

c2f410dbbebefef71eb4c9ea96a79c68.jpg
6f48e61849cca5c285ab667bd2bacdb5.jpg
4d1505cbcbaea2b074505e99ebcb9140.jpg

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Back