event ZestFest 2011 Review and Thoughts

First of all, moderators/Dan, please post this where it is supposed to go if I am posting it in the wrong place...

I went to ZF Thursday for a little while and hung out with Creator and the Wife Unit (John and Maggie Dilley of DefCon Sauces). Their setup was all but complete and I got to spend some quality time with them. Also got to meet a lot of people in the business...won't mention any names since I can't list all I talked with/met...please don't be offended..

Then Saturday, my sweet wife, Linda and I went during the regular show...my views and opinion of the show and products follow...

Attendance: generally it was pretty busy all the time with lines at each booth with samples...sometimes a long long line, like the one at Angelos...and that was just for sauce...it wasn't hard to get around in because the people attending were very nice and courteous of one another...

Booths...without a doubt, the Creator had the best booth with his display of lasers and hazardous material theme...and no about it either that he brought the pain...

quick story...Thursday while John and I stepped out on the loading dock for a smoke, a security guard came up and started talking to us...of course, the conversation was about "hot"...sooooo, Creator had a bottle of Zero Sludge in his pocket with some straws and offered the guard one...he vehemently declined but said, hey, that guy over there, get him to try it...he says he can take hot...long story short, the guy came over, Creator supplied him with the dipstick of pain (zero sludge on a straw) and he dove in...as soon as he looked up, there was this awestruck look in his eyes..widening he said, yup...its hot....and that's all he kept saying as he thanked the Creator and kinda hurried off...he was definitely looking for some place to ditch the dipstick...

Products that got my attention...shown in the picture below...mind you now, I have a lot of products from other mfgs like Intensity Academy, Danny Cash, CaJohn, the list goes on...so I was looking for something "new" for me...

013111b002.jpg

Starting from the top left:

Note: most everything that was labelled hot would be considered very mild to seasoned chileheads, even my Linda kept on saying, "where's the heat...you're stuff is much hotter"...

Chef Gerard and Chuck's Green Stuff Salsa Hot!!

This is made from fresh raw vegetables and the recipe astonishingly resembles my Pico de Gallo recipe...it is very tasty and was the wifes favorite of show.

next is Slappin' Fat Bacon Ketchup...you just can't go wrong with bacon flavor and this ketchup goes even one better, no bacon fat...it is artificially flavored...I will not go into discussions about ingredients being healthy for you or not...just simply what tasted the best...this was one of my favorites...

3 A.M. Bobby Que - one of the best BBQ sauces I have had...got a tip of the tongue afterglow and great taste...just right on the levels of vinegar and sweetness plus the smoky flavor makes this one a winner for me...best BBQ sauce...

Harold's Texicun Gormay Pickuls - labelled 4X and called "Dern Hot"....that got me right there and I knew I had to try them...yup...tried them, liked them, bought them....very tasty...cucumbers and red chile peppers in a vinegar/dill/spice liquid...excellent...

Heartbreaking Dawns 1498 - Trinidad Scorpion Sauce...great tasting and pretty warm sauce...the taste is what gets me...just the taste is delicious...

Heart Breaking Dawns Mauvais Sang - have not tried this one yet but it is made with Dorset Naga and Chocolate Habanero puree....I bet it is good...

Silver Leaf Ghost Pepper Salsa...this is my pick of the show for salsas...great tasting, pretty warm, smoky salsa...definitely a keeper in my opinion...enough for me to buy 3 jars...

Bottom Row from the left...

Twangers Salts...several different flavors: Chile Lime Salt (Sal Chile-Limon), Pickle Salt (Sabor a Pepinillo), Lime Salt (Sal con Limon), Lemon Lime Salt (Sal Lima-Limon), Apple Flavored Candy (this one is going to be interesting and I bet good - only one I didn't taste), and Mango Sweet & Sour Chili...I can't wait to use these in my cooking...especially fish, pork, and chicken...my favorite so far is the Chili Lime Salt...it works especially well on the rim of a 7 Pot Bloody Mary...

Chile Pepper Magazine Cap...she begged me to wear it...I was going to anyway, but let her think I wasn't...pretty cool new owners...I wish them the best of luck in their new ventue...

And the final item is a chili bowl...uniquely shaped and a collectors item...these ladies make these in their garage and they are a might heavy piece of ceramic ware...would have bought a set of 4 but didn't have the extra 100 for them so we bought one...

Overall Impressions...I will be talking generalities here and not specifics....it seemed like everyone and his brother had a chipotle flavored hot sauce...if it didn't have chipotle in the title, it had it in the ingredients...don't get me wrong because I like a good chipotle...but Jeez folks...gimme something new and fantastic...

There were a lot of supplliers from Texas here and that is what I expected...doh...but these Made in Texas by a Texan signs are great to see and to me are an indication there is a little extra money here in Texas...not saying we are not suffering from the recession/down economy/Bear run on Wall Street...call it whatever you will...but the people that were there seemed to be enjoying themselves and spending a good bit of money...If everyone spent as much as the wife and I did,and we didn't spend that much as is evidenced by the photo...the festival was a rip roaring success...

Have a great day all...

AJ
Thanks for the review.
Its nice to hear that folks are beginning to have some extra spending money available, and that the event was well attended and supported.

Awesome AJ. Sounds like you had a great time. Keep us posted as you try all the products. I'm especially interested in trying Johnny's new offerings. I'm gonna have to hit him up soon for them.

Thanks AJ, I'd love to go to one of those someday. Think I might have to look up some of that stuff, you're a good salesman.

AJ- it was great meeting you and your wife there and I am glad you enjoyed our products :woohoo:

The Chef Gerard salsa was also my personal favorite for salsas that I had tried at the show (I did only get to a few booths though since I was "working" the whole time)

And I also agree with you that the sales were great. This was our first year at Zest Fest but we were extremely happy with the results

Hope to see you at Zest Fest next year!

xox nicole

We had a blast. It'a always good seeing AJ, and we finally got to meet his Wife Unit, as expected, she was an angel.

The attendance overall was very good. I became a tad concerned at the beginning of Saturday, but the wave assault showed en force by late morning. It was very cool seeing a ton of repeat customers that had bought from us at the Will Rogers Institute for the last few years (the previous location of Zest Fest). It was also nice seeing a bunch of brand new companies show up or their first show. I spoke with a few of them, and they were pleasantly surprised with their sales as well. AJ is right, the overall courteousness and overly niceness of the crowds was awesome, as was the unsurpassed security that was absolutely everywhere all the time. The Zest Fest staff did a great job at making the vendors comfortable, and the Golden Chile Awards Ceremony was fun as usual, complete with good food, and free beer. It was nice knowing I wasn't the only one feeling a little fuzzy on Saturday morning, LOL!

Well, I'd like to thank all those in attendance, as well as all the awesome Keepers of the Flame in the hot sauce industry. Looking forward to next year already!

thats a nice selection that you picked up & good to hear that you had a great time....well its good to hear that everyone that went had a good time.
I really need to get to one of these chilehead shows within the next couple years!

Sounds like you all had a great time and it was a great success. What sort of attendance numbers were there? I would love to see some more photos if anyone has got some.

Hopefully one day I can attend as it sounds like an excellent day out. When i plan to have a holdiay in America I will try and work it around those dates.

I had tons of photos, I will post them on my FB soon ( still dont know how to post pics on here... dont judge me...)

Scott Roberts has some pics on his site http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/

xo n

And that was just the Defcon booth!
Too funny, but I'll tell ya, not too far off. I did a phone interview with the Dallas Morning News this morning, she asked besides our productsm, what were some of my favorite products at the show. I told her that I honestly couldn't answer her because I couldn't physically get out of our booth. She told me she completely understood as she was unable to get close to us on Saturday when she was there, hence the phone interview this morning.

great reviews - sounds like a great time was had by all - wish i could have been there. maybe next year, god knows that i have enough frequent flyer miles.

Too funny, but I'll tell ya, not too far off. I did a phone interview with the Dallas Morning News this morning, she asked besides our productsm, what were some of my favorite products at the show. I told her that I honestly couldn't answer her because I couldn't physically get out of our booth. She told me she completely understood as she was unable to get close to us on Saturday when she was there, hence the phone interview this morning.

That's because you are now a rockstar! :lol: So do you have any particularly funny stories about torturing people this year?

AJ, that one goes for you too, I'm sure you were carrying some goodies around with you. :cool:

AJ, that one goes for you too, I'm sure you were carrying some goodies around with you. :cool:

I had a pocket full of dried scorpions. Gave a few away to some folks but the didn't want to try them right then...maybe the word is getting out...

Now that is funny. I knew you had to have something! Did you try Johnny's new sauce? The trini one. I want to get a hold of that one. Next time, you should just take some powder and a tiny tiny spoon. They may be more likely to try it that way.

That's because you are now a rockstar! :lol: So do you have any particularly funny stories about torturing people this year?
I was asked to do writeup by Scott Roberts. I used to do them all the time (known as A Defcon Perspective), but haven't done one in a while. Give it little time, you'll be pleasantly surprised. We had a review on Peppers and more, and I ws called "The Picasso of wing sauces and the Gene Simmons of marketing". Thank God I didn't have a mouthful of beer at the moment when I read it, the laptop would still be in the shop.

Well I for one am looking for a little insight into the party afterward. Specifically, did you and AJ throw some back together?

Back