• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Zone 10b Questions and Advice

Ive got 13 months of growing experience under my belt here in South Florida, zone 10b. I had a bit of a failure in the last few months and am starting new again.

I currently have seeds germinating, and have a number of plants that have already germinated. They'll of course be staying indoors in their seedling trays for about another 2 weeks, but:

My question is, should I rush these into the outdoors to let the sun toughen them up and get them growing before fall comes, or do I hold them inside a bit, maybe a month, to try and avoid the torrential rain we're getting?

Secondly, this maybe be a bit too specific of a question, but is there any place in South FL where I can buy pro-level soils? Im never going to use MG again, but then again Im not an organic freak, so I am specifically looking for something with excellent drainage which I can mulch over in the dry winter to retain moisture.

Its a mixed blessing, growing here in SoFla, we get a full-year growing season (I had 2 nights last year where I had to tarp the plants due to frost) but we also get uncontrollable amounts of rain in the dog days of summer.

Thanks everyone!

I live about 4 hours North of you and I start all my plants outside this time of year.This is a perfect time of year to germinate outside. I keep them in the shade( under the porch) for the first month only receiving a few hours of sun. Then I gradually move them to places with more sun.

You could always buy some pine bark and a nice soil from your local nursery and do a 40% pine 60 % soil mix. There are alot of threads on how to make your own soil on this site. :dance:

I live in Broward county (cooper City) also and I found pro mix selling at universal enterprises supply corp
I have not bought it yet but I did confirm they sell promix BH - $29 - only one size........not sure if that's a good price.

universal enterprises supply corp
2171 Blount Road, Pompano Beach, FL 33069
(954) 979-0600

I had a hard time with my hunt so now I am making my own soil.

I take a bag of MG Organic, a bag of Lambert organic potting mix (which is very coarse with large pieces,) 3 cups of perlite, and old rotten wood mulch from my old potted plants.

I am having much better water-handling with this mix than any of the bagged mixes I had been able to get locally from the big box stores.

Back