• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Kashmiri chilli

I enjoy eating Indian food and I would really like to grow the kashmiri chilli so I don't have to keep buying the paste,the only problem is that I can't seem to find seeds anywhere?
Does anyone know if there is a reason for this?

There might be a difference between chili paste and chile pods.
Pastes are usually mixed with other ingredients.

Maybe?

I can buy the dried pods off the net,just wondered why no chilli seed company's supply seeds for these so I can grow my own

When I follow recipes it says use dried pods but I replace this with paste because its cheaper

I enjoy eating Indian food and I would really like to grow the kashmiri chilli so I don't have to keep buying the paste,the only problem is that I can't seem to find seeds anywhere?
Does anyone know if there is a reason for this?
Yes, because smart indian pepper growers aren't about to give you the means to reduce their sales.

they are pretty common in east indian grocers, at least where i live, they are dried and packaged.
here is a link more local to you.

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Fudco-Kashmiri-Chilli-Peppers-Whole.html

i inquired about the pepper years ago, to my local east indian grocer as they had several various types. i told them i was looking for india's hottest and they said stay away from the kashmiri as it was a mild pepper used mainly for colour.

good luck

Thanks for the link :)
I grew Pusa jwala this year for there flavour and the little heat they give off,they where pretty easy seeds to source,I bought a curry cook book and it has a lot of recipes that use kashmiri chillis because like you said they are used for there distinctive colour,I spent lots of time time looking for seeds and so far drawn a blank

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]grew Pusa jwala this year for there flavour[/background]

i am growing 2 jwala plants with pods this year. as a matter of fact i just had a slice.......... and you know.............. it is just a weak cayenne... as is dundicut and sannam;there is nothing that separates the flavour to say one pepper is outstanding over the other. i will process my pods and wait for the plants to die. it is just not worth the space or effort. my house annumm is goatsweed and i think i will leave it at that!

i have super chilli if i need something with a little less heat and perhaps i will just grow kungpao, if i think i need something with less heat in a annuum.

thai and goatsweed really spice up a dish. i just gave my visiting nephew a taste of my goatsweed/thai powder and he just about shit. he has been bragging about my orange hab powder but you toss goatsweed powder onto anything that has a tomato based and the heat just carries. for some dumb ass reason, he said tomatoes reduce the heat of peppers...... in my experience the exact opposite happens, the tomato, when heated amplifies the effect.... well, dumb kid learned the hard way..... he is 35 yrs old. guess he learnt a life lesson.

A friend of mine went to Calcutta earlier this year. She brought me some dried peppers from a market there. I took some seeds and grew them..and I have seeds from the original pods she brought me. p.m. me and I'll send you some seeds.

i am growing 2 jwala plants with pods this year. as a matter of fact i just had a slice.......... and you know.............. it is just a weak cayenne... as is dundicut and sannam;there is nothing that separates the flavour to say one pepper is outstanding over the other. i will process my pods and wait for the plants to die. it is just not worth the space or effort. my house annumm is goatsweed and i think i will leave it at that!

i have super chilli if i need something with a little less heat and perhaps i will just grow kungpao, if i think i need something with less heat in a annuum.

thai and goatsweed really spice up a dish. i just gave my visiting nephew a taste of my goatsweed/thai powder and he just about shit. he has been bragging about my orange hab powder but you toss goatsweed powder onto anything that has a tomato based and the heat just carries. for some dumb ass reason, he said tomatoes reduce the heat of peppers...... in my experience the exact opposite happens, the tomato, when heated amplifies the effect.... well, dumb kid learned the hard way..... he is 35 yrs old. guess he learnt a life lesson.

The heat level of the Pusa is just right for everyday cooking especially when I've got two kids to cook for.

didn't know there were kids involved! then you are correct jwala is a good choice. follow it up with kung pao as the need for heat arises.
best of luck to you slater.

Rebirthing this thread, is there anyone here who has these seeds or know where I could get legit seeds??? I looooove indian cooking.

Thanks,
Teurf

I just bought two varieties from UK Chilli Seeds , which is the same site Chilli Wizard, and I have received the Kashmiri Mirch as freebie.
I don't have any feedback about the purity of their seeds, but they are very cheap and ship quickly.
I will sow this varieties in 2016 season.
bhQ2e4V.jpg

Thanks to you both for the nice info.

I will give it a shot with UK Chili Seeds.
Teurf

Oban said:
I just bought two varieties from UK Chilli Seeds , which is the same site Chilli Wizard, and I have received the Kashmiri Mirch as freebie.
I don't have any feedback about the purity of their seeds, but they are very cheap and ship quickly.
I will sow this varieties in 2016 season.
bhQ2e4V.jpg

kentishman said:
Here's a list of Indian chiles. Note what is said about Kashmiri chiles:

http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/cp_indiz.html

I grew Reshampatti a couple of years ago. Also grew a small chile that an Indian lady had. Don't know it's name. She gave a local produce grower seeds and had him grow them for her. I assume she wanted them to cook with.

Back