• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Krakens 2015-2016 Glog

*The Krakens 2015-2016 GLOG - Updated 12th of February 2016 ... Even More GREAT Peppers Added !!! 

In the process of beginning my 2015 - 2016 grow here in Australia.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~*~ BIG THANKS TO  ~*~

Scorched, jcw10TC,  MisterBigglesworth, frank225 & LindbergF 
.....Thanks for your wonderful seed's .. I'll keep you posted !!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*******   MY GROW LIST HAS GONE SO UP IN SMOKE I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO KEEP THE LIST UP   *******
Lots of super hots and lots of unusual crosses... Along with some crossing projects of my own and some base varieties..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is where the babies were popped

My home made seedling incubator.... :P

This is my makeshift propagation unit that's in my shed.. In case your wondering I purchased a standard 6 shelf adjustable metal shelving unit for $60, painted the MDF shelves in matte white paint ( to help with waterproofing and light reflection) .. I obtained some office fluro double tube light T8 units from a renovation at my work with 5000k 32 watt globes in each slot. and set 4x of them up under each shelf above. I then spaced the shelves at varying heights to allow for different plant progressions and left the top section with no lights as I use it to propagate seeds. 

The whole thing is surrounded by a big plastic bag I got from a sofa I purchased and I cut open one side and using another sheet of plastic made a flap to cover the front.

In summer I need to keep the flap open or it gets to hot but in winter its just perfect... I get a steady 35 degrees Celsius on the top propagation shelf and a steady drop down to 20-25 degree's at the bottom..

I can fit plants about 4 inches tall from the pot on the second shelf, 6 inches on the third and about 12 on the fourth and 20 on the bottom, I run them on a 16 on 8 off timer and put a fan on them every few days... and from there, I cycle them out to my small hothouse that gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight and 6 hours of reflected a day. This sits at a cosy 35-40 degrees in summer and 15-20 in winter generally.

****** Photo's and more info to come...*******

I have just planted a whole heap more crosses and varieties... I plan on going through them all over the next few days and locking in my current grow list.. It just keeps exploding out further and further, thanks a lot in part to the great members of THP who share the love .. It's much appreciated..

Noah Yates said:
Nice list!!  I am curious about the bhut jolokia caramel II...  is it something you created or did you buy it?

Unfortunately nothing exciting with this one, I have two seed types for the caramel from two separate strains. Didn't want to mix them up, one has a more reddish caramel colour, the other is a more light tan colour.

TKP Blends....

In relation to my TKP blends, these are plants that have grown pods of a differing pheno to the originals.. I have then begun to grow them out and try to stabilise those variances.. Here is the Morgua Red and Yellows.

Trinidad Scorpion TKP Red Blend

These pics are from the second generation of 'Trinidad Scorpion TKP Blend - Red' that I will be growing to third generation this year. The originating variety was a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion  - Red.  

The red plant doesn't have any of the standard Moruga folding of the pods you would expect and are a much lighter pod generally. It features two distinct pod types one being a very square shaped snub nose pod with three distinct segments with deep ridges. The other is a more elongated pod with a more rounded base and pointy nose with deeper more distinct ridges. The plant does from time to time grow a pod with slight folds but their rare and still nowhere near the look of  standard Moruga.

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion vs Trinidad Scorpion TKP Blend - This is the square type pods from the side

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion vs Trinidad Scorpion TKP Blend - This is the square type pods from the bottom

These are the longer type pods from the same plant that still feature the deep indentations Top View

These are the longer type pods from the same plant that still feature the deep indentations Side View.

These are the longer type pods from the same plant that still feature the deep indentations - Cut open view.. Didn't have a large placenta but did have it running to the tip of the pod.

These pods have extreme heat considering their small placental sizes. I found the internal makeup to be significantly different to a Moruga but with similar taste and that same heat, although it didn't seem to last as long. I have yet to open up the square pods yet from this season and will update here as soon as I do.

This is the yellow pheno  I am taking to second generation this season. These were quiet an ugly and mutated pheno..

Trinidad Scorpion TKP blend - Yellow. This is the first generation pod and will be grown out to second generation this season

Trinidad Scorpion TKP blend - Yellow. This is the first generation pod and will be grown out to second generation this season

This plant had unusual rounded pods with a rough texture unlike anything I had seen before. The walls where thick and the placenta was medium sized but soaked in oil... The seeds where unusually rectangular in shape and packed tightly together in rows very tightly together.. A more traditional Moruga looking pod inside.

The heat was extreme and much hotter than a standard yellow Moruga. The taste was about the same.

Interested to know if you OW your plants? I'm debating whether to prune all mine back once night temps start to go below 10C on a regular basis, or just let them fend for themselves. Last year I pruned everything back with varying levels of success. I imagine it gets colder in winter on your side of the country.

Pinhigh said:
Interested to know if you OW your plants? I'm debating whether to prune all mine back once night temps start to go below 10C on a regular basis, or just let them fend for themselves. Last year I pruned everything back with varying levels of success. I imagine it gets colder in winter on your side of the country.

I am definitely going to this year, however I wont be doing a full traditional OW, the plants I have selected to take into next season I have kept at a smaller size.. 2-3 feet tall and I am going to transplant them into large pots tomorrow and top them, so they can establish a new and larger root system leading into winter and begin new vegetation so I intend to actual progress the plants through winter rather then chop them down. I had good success growing plants through winter last year vs ones I tried to OW buy cutting them down in my hot house without any external heating sources. Unless winter is unusualy cold here I can still get a consistent 10-20 degrees in the hothouse.

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. Mine are still putting out new growth and flowering/fruiting at the moment, but once that stops I will probably buy some sort of green house and follow the same method I think. Thanks!

Pinhigh said:
Yeah that sounds like a good plan. Mine are still putting out new growth and flowering/fruiting at the moment, but once that stops I will probably buy some sort of green house and follow the same method I think. Thanks!

Mine too, I thought my plants were about done for the season then POW... I have a look and there's whole clusters of new flowers everywhere and the sun is still nice and strong so I expect one more good cycle

Pinhigh said:
We are going down to 2-3c at night on some evenings, and up to 20c during the day now. The sacrificial Cayennes (yes I too commit murder Kraken!) are going absolutely fine, no damage, if anything it seems to have pushed the ripening on, so you certainly don't need to panic.  My red Bhut and red Hab are already cosy in the grow tent inside though.  At these temps the cayennes are still pushing new flowers out.  

At night we get to about 3-4 on lows, average 5-10 .. Days range from about 10-15 .. So in a hot house I'm getting 5-10 degrees higher ..during winter..

Just popped in to see your grow, you have a nice set up and your list of peppers is really impressive I really like your list of secret crosses should be very interesting when they start making pods. I like your Moruga cross the thick flesh looks really tasty. Well while you are going into late fall there we are getting into early spring, I can't wait till it get warm enough to get my plants in the ground, but that is still a good month away.
Well I hope you have a great season and will stop in again to see how things are growing.

George

wildseed57 said:
Just popped in to see your grow, you have a nice set up and your list of peppers is really impressive I really like your list of secret crosses should be very interesting when they start making pods. I like your Moruga cross the thick flesh looks really tasty. Well while you are going into late fall there we are getting into early spring, I can't wait till it get warm enough to get my plants in the ground, but that is still a good month away.
Well I hope you have a great season and will stop in again to see how things are growing.

George

Thanks a lot .. I have about 10 more crosses or so that will be coming off the plants soon, I add them as I harvest the seeds. I'm slow growing these fresh seedlings over winter like I did last year so I can get a good run into spring.. I hope that way I will be able to get a few new crosses into dirt and podding before the growing season finishes.. I also have several more varieties I plan to add to my grow =P

Bah ... Couldn't help it.. Had to plant some MORE varieties ... lol

Including:

7 Pot Douglah
7 Pot Yellow
Buena Mulata
Fatalii - Yellow
Fijian Bongo
Naga - Red
Naga Mini - Black
Naga King Cobra
Naglah - Red

Thought I'd invest in a few unusual variety's and a few core Nuclear Hots..  A few extra gene lines to introduce into some blends :dance:

Damn nice and hot… what's the plan?  You have literally pounds of pods potentially off all of these.  Are you making and selling sauces and powders?

I am on the precipice of getting another rack of T5's and putting a few more on to grow myself.  

Bumper said:
Damn nice and hot… what's the plan?  You have literally pounds of pods potentially off all of these.  Are you making and selling sauces and powders?

I am on the precipice of getting another rack of T5's and putting a few more on to grow myself.  

My current motivation is making new crosses and stabilising variety's, I will also be harvesting seed and selling some of the excess plants locally. The pods will be turned into powders and sauces, mainly for personal consumption. You are right though, if all goes well this season I hope to have an abundance of pods..

Back