• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod 7pod and Scorpion, which is which?

Hello Pepperheads!
I believe I got these 2 varieties correctly identified, but with various websites and youtube videos showing huge differences in pods I thought I'd ask for your help.

Below are a couple pods I picked today. The ones on the right were from seeds acquired as 7pod and then ones on the left were Scorpions. Are these in fact the correct peppers? I can tell you that I've found the ones on the right to be a bit hotter, in the gut anyhow because after I eat even one of these pods my stomach will ache for at least 2 hours afterwords.:P

trinidad.jpg

The ones on the right have a very rough and pimply texture similar to a Naga or Bhut, the ones on the left are very smooth.

Thanks all! Unfortunately my sauce isn't as hot as you'd think, I really need to do an extract of the cap I think.

IGG, I know you've had lots of sauce tasting and are probably one of the best for review, so would you be interested in trying and giving me your opinion on with my my sauce? This is my first year trying and only my 2nd batch, so far I'm the only one consuming it and I'd be interested in hearing a fellow pepperheads opinion. If interested shoot me a pm with your addy and I'll send ya a bottle, thanx!

(to the OP)

My 7 POTs don't have a tail. Pics I have seen don't have tails either. I am not saying that I personally know, I would just have said all 4 were scorpions based on the tails and the look of what I am growing.

cheezydemon said:
(to the OP)

My 7 POTs don't have a tail. Pics I have seen don't have tails either. I am not saying that I personally know, I would just have said all 4 were scorpions based on the tails and the look of what I am growing.

See this is why I'm stumped and don't even know what I have. I've seen so many variations of what Scorpions and 7pots look like. For example, if you look at THSC youtube video his review of the Scorpion looks spot on with mine pictured on the left, but his 7pot review looks nothing like mine pictured on the right or anyone elses for that matter. My 7pots almost all have tails of a Scorpion. I truely wonder who the heck knows for sure what the exact strains look like if there is even an exact look.

Pepp3rFreak said:
Thanks all!! It's good to get some clarification and I'm glad to see my labeling was correct.

Oh, and yeah the 7pods/pots are pretty much poisonous as they tear your guts apart, it's great!!! From the peppers I've grown the Nagas, Bhuts, or Scorpions can't compare to the pain they have on the stomach and back of the throat. I'd rather eat 3 wimpy Scorpions instead of 1 7pod :)

Oh, I thought I'd also share, I've made my first good batch of sauce last night. It consisted of 50 Naga Morich's, 30 7Pods, 30 Scorpions, and 20 Fatallis.
deathsauce.jpg

Very nice color of your sauce professonally made great job my friend.:mouthonfire::lol:

There are many strains of 7pot, and I found with the sorpions I grow, that there are strains of them too. I found a thread where trinihottie was talking about the many different types (strains) of 7pot chiles (something like 5?). It's almost like, if a 7Pot has a tail, it's a Scorpion, but they may be totally different varietys? I would love to know.

I guess it's hard to say. Seeds have spread like wildfire and I have seen as many pics of pods resembling mine as I have seen those of pods that look very different. There are different strains for sure and some of them are everything but stable.

So far, I have heard of/seen 7Pot (red), Jonah, Douglah, yellow and orange.

Pepp3rFreak said:
Thanks all!! It's good to get some clarification and I'm glad to see my labeling was correct.

Oh, and yeah the 7pods/pots are pretty much poisonous as they tear your guts apart, it's great!!! From the peppers I've grown the Nagas, Bhuts, or Scorpions can't compare to the pain they have on the stomach and back of the throat. I'd rather eat 3 wimpy Scorpions instead of 1 7pod :)

Oh, I thought I'd also share, I've made my first good batch of sauce last night. It consisted of 50 Naga Morich's, 30 7Pods, 30 Scorpions, and 20 Fatallis.
deathsauce.jpg

My god thats some hotsauce my friend..But looking at those pods i can see your in for a warm winter indeed :)

talas said:
My god thats some hotsauce my friend..But looking at those pods i can see your in for a warm winter indeed :)

Thanks! Although the sauce will not be lasting until winter, of the 10 bottles I made I gave away 6 of them and used almost 2 already:lol: I hope to get another bacth made this week if my pots ripen.

Pepp3rFreak said:
Thanks! Although the sauce will not be lasting until winter, of the 10 bottles I made I gave away 6 of them and used almost 2 already:lol: I hope to get another batch made this week if my pots ripen.
With the number and types of peppers you put into that sauce, I can only imagine how hot it is. What comments have you received back from your friends about it?

NatGreenMeds said:
With the number and types of peppers you put into that sauce, I can only imagine how hot it is. What comments have you received back from your friends about it?

So far my favorite comments are: 'This is too F*^#$!ng HOT!' or 'Do you actually eat this stuff?' :lol:

so far out of the few I've given bottles too only half of them tried it. Everyone that's tried it says they really like it. My 80 something year old neighbor is in love with the sauce, he says he waters it down a good bit but enjoys it on everything. I use it on everything as well, and even tried and don't knock it until you try it, vanilla ice cream!:lol::lol:

Putting hot sauce in ice cream sounds weird, but actually isn't that unique in concept. The ice cream would take a lot of the bite out, I imagine.

On the other hand my friend, you may just be addicted to hot....hehe

Other unique milk dishes:

Bourbon Ice Cream
Cucumbers in Milk

And last, but not least, one that should be popular here:
Icy Hot Avocado Ice Cream (Recipe below)

Chili-Lime-Avocado Ice Cream

1 quart ice cream, softened (lime or coconut are my flavor recommendations.)
2 avocados, pitted and peeled
Zest and juice of 2 limes
2 t. sugar
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup sweetened flake coconut
1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded or not (depending on how much of a kick you’re going for)

While the ice cream is softening up, mince the peppers in the food processor with the lime juice and zest.

Process well until the mixture is paste-like. Add the sugar, coconut, and avocados, and continue processing until the mixture is well-combined.

Spoon the ice cream into a freezable container, and stir in the coconut milk (this will help to soften it up even more).

Work in the avocado mixture, stirring until the ice cream turns a lovely shade of avocado green and seems evenly mixed.

Freeze for a few hours or up to a week.

Wow, this sounds sooo great! I have made fruity hot sauces to go with ice cream, but never thought of actually making hot ice cream. I really need to try this a.s.a.p.!!!!!! Thanks!

Pepperfreak,

In response to your comparison question......
If my F%&$ing Scorpions would ripen, I could tell you!!lol

ALL peppers are crosses of one kind or another.

Trinnie's seeds were probably all crossed a little bit.(Not complaining Trini! They are definitely some of my most prized plants!)

Anything with that pimpled skin is going to burn your mouth off.

My Nagas seem to have a cleaner, less citrus flavor than my 7 pots. They seem hotter too, but it is hard to split hairs at that heat level.

Pepp3rFreak said:
deathsauce.jpg

Great looking sauce. I always get hungry when people post pics of peppers or sauce... :P

Back