• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Dehydrating peppers for powder, suggestions?

I'll go check it out. I'm gonna let it run until at least this time tomorrow evening and check the results. We shall see :)

I usually smoke (or roast for a different flavour) first and then dehyrate.

Time on a dehydrator will vary from pepper to pepper, and also depending on the humidity in the room you choose (Note: my room of choice is the garage... my wife and her burning eyes and throat helped in that choice)

Depends on the dehyradtor unit as well... I bought a cheap one from BPS which suits my needs just fine. Breaking down the pepper before hand will change the time necessary too... I have had peppers ready for powdering in as few as 4 or 5 hrs, where others in the same batch were closer to 12 or 14 hrs.

I usually leave the seeds in there unless I'm saving them for replanting, in which case, they are romved before any smoking, roasting or drying.
As for the smoke, I like milder smokes like cheerry, apple, or (my favourite) pecan.

I typically do small amounts of various peppers and blend them, but have also done "single pepper" powders when I have enough of them.

Got bottles of pure single peppers, bottles of mixed pure peppers, and 1 batch of smoked pepper salt.

In all, the main ingredient is-------peppers.

Last batch was a 1/2 mixed SFRB put under the broiler till the skin started turning, 2 pans of apple wood in the smoker, a day in the dehydrator.
Equal parts powdered pepper and powdered salt, then mixed that 4 to 1 with regular table salt.

I leave the majority of the seeds in the pods.

Get loads of peppers. try anything you think of.

Back