• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Vanilla Extract

With the Outrageous cost of Vanilla nowadays I decided to try and make my own. Now wait and shake for three months.

Mickey of Rum and 9 Vanilla pods, last of my stock.

HuTR0aD.jpg

Is this a known vanilla extract recipe or just an experiment? Curious about the proportions, i would have expected more vanilla.

My Croatian friends family makes a vanilla liqueur from Rakia (basically grape moonshine), sugar and vanilla. Its really good stuff, you've reminded me that I need to get the recipe.

There was a certain temperature for cooking with vanilla extract where you bake off all the good things that give it a complex flavor. If you cook above that temperature you might as well be using artificial vanilla because the result is the same. But I do think the temperature was fairly high.

https://www.beanilla.com/blog/homemade-vanilla-extract

It says to slice the beans in half (or cut them more) and use enough alcohol to completely cover them. It also says to watch out for colorless extract in stores because it is chemically treated. Real vanilla extract is the color of those beans.

It is funny how now that I know that vanilla is la vanilla, because the word is from Spanish, and borrowed unchanged, in my head I started pronouncing tha doubled Ls as a Y sound. Chocolate is the same way.

These are sliced and halved. These are what I bought about seven years ago and are strong flavors, Bourbon I think. I bought a stack of them wholesale back then.
So quantity will depend on quality, read up before you buy.
Growing them is difficult, they bloom once a year, and Vanilla is an Orchid flower, theirs a long process after picking them.

Back