• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum 247 Jalapenos in 8 Minutes

From Yahoo News;

"DALLAS - A 62-year-old retired accountant from Nevada swallowed 247 peppers in eight minutes to win the Jalapeno Eating World Championship at the State Fair of Texas.
Richard LeFevre won $2,000 for prevailing in Sunday's contest, which was sponsored by the International Federation of Competitive Eating.

"I love to eat, and I love to compete, so the two go pretty well together," said LeFevre, the world's eighth-ranked eater according to the federation.

LeFevre, who has also won the fair's World Corny Dog Eating Contest three times, said his winning strategy was to mix three or four peppers in his mouth with a swig of milk before swallowing.

LeFevre was one of four professional eaters who took the top four places in the competition.

Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas said she had never eaten a jalapeno before the contest. Ranked third in the world by the federation, she downed 239 peppers to take second place and $1,000 in prize money.

Christopher Huang, of Arlington, entered the competition even though he doesn't normally eat spicy foods.

"I eat mild salsa," Huang said. "But there's nothing like putting yourself through a lot of pain for no reason."

The 26-year-old required several minutes of recovery time after eating 53 jalapenos.

"I cant feel my face," he said when he was able to speak again.

Dr. Daniel DeMarco, a gastroenterologist and director of endoscopy at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas, said the amount of jalapenos consumed in an eating contest is more harmful than the burn.

"It's really pretty stupid," DeMarco said. "Like any sort of abuse of your body, it doesn't make any sense."

He said long-term complications are unlikely, but there are some risks.

"If they get sick, they're going to be vomiting it up, and that can cause esophageal tears," he said."

they should have filled the basket up with red savinas for the woman that had never eaten a jalepeno before.

id like to see her eat 239 red savinas, as long as there was video footage.

I like "I can't feel my face"

Now, this might have something to do with the fact that (as previously discussed) I've only eaten restaurant and supermarket jalapenos, but this doesn't seem like a big deal. Maybe I should not say that for a few months, though, until my jala plants have grown, and then I can see for myself.

When I was at school, we had a curry outing once. One teacher had never had a curry before (seriously. In the UK. Odd) so asked for the mildest thing they had. A friend of mine, who sadly died earlier this year, sidelined the waiter and said "give the guy a phal".

To his credit, the teacher managed about 5 mouthfuls before giving up, and we all collapsed laughing. We tried a bit,and one mouthful was more than enough.

bubbaschili said:
millions do it every day dude.....its called marriage

But there is a reason for that pain actually....wait a minute...i forgot what it was....damn,i can't remember it anymore. Never mind.

"I eat mild salsa," Huang said. "But there's nothing like putting yourself through a lot of pain for no reason."

The 26-year-old required several minutes of recovery time after eating 53 jalapenos.

"I cant feel my face," he said when he was able to speak again.

Lol, that's priceless! I wish I was there to see that.

imaguitargod said:
Ummm...I don't think they used pickled peppers...I think those were fresh.

If you look at the website for the International Federation for Competitive Eating it says that the previous record was for '177 pickled peppers in 15 minutes'. Wouldn't it be a bit of a jump to eat 70 more peppers in just over half the time if they were fresh?

I also don't think you could manage 247 fresh chilli's in that time purely for the time required to chew them, whereas pickled ones you could.

GreenHot said:
If you look at the website for the International Federation for Competitive Eating it says that the previous record was for '177 pickled peppers in 15 minutes'. Wouldn't it be a bit of a jump to eat 70 more peppers in just over half the time if they were fresh?

I also don't think you could manage 247 fresh chilli's in that time purely for the time required to chew them, whereas pickled ones you could.
This has suddenly dropped way down on my amazment scale. Pickled peppers? PICKLED peppers?!?! Bah! I can do better than this!

: runs out and gets pickled peppers :

imaguitargod said:
This has suddenly dropped way down on my amazment scale. Pickled peppers? PICKLED peppers?!?! Bah! I can do better than this!

: runs out and gets pickled peppers :

Jeez...i go through about a gallon jug of pickled pepers every few DAYS

Back