• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Vote! Oktoberfest Throwdown 2010

Who had the best?

• JayT - Jay T's Bhut-n-Beer Pumpkin Soup and Oktoberfest Braised Oxtail Ragu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • geeme - Oktoberfeist GeeMe Style

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beer battered "bum burners" and Down under beer chili

Well done Perko, love the name too. This might just get my vote so far.

WOW pork belly is amazing, I only got into it since visiting that restaurant "cookie" in the city

JoeyK!!!! Woooo-hoo! I love mussels - almost did them myself - and the prawns look fantastic!
(Are you sure that's not April's entry?!?)

Ha ha ha thanks, after we went to the beach yesterday and got a bit of sun April refused to do anything last night so it was up to me to do the cooking. I spilt beer all over the kitchen floor so I am in the bad books.

Needless to say ya'll, I have lost teh capacity to hold my liquor in light of my most recent layoff in regards to all 'thangs alcomohol. I am still wondering who the bastard was that overserved me last night. In addition, I reckoned my pics were not of worthy quality however at Jay's suggestion and upon further review I have decided to enter the chaos anyhow.

I have...

Jalapeno Beer Cheese Soup and Beef Tenderloin Schnitzel w/Sauteed Beer T-Scorp Mushrooms.

For your culinary entertainment pleasure...

IMG_2702.jpg

Whipped up a roux of butter, flour, garlic and 'peno.

IMG_2700.jpg

Then added some German hosky to the 'peno MAN BATTER...

IMG_2701.jpg

Sauteed buttons with butter, garlic, AJ's T-Scorp Puree and Spaten Octobrewhaha..

IMG_2708.jpg

Flamage...

IMG_2705.jpg

Teh beer cheese soup. I used a cheddar/jack mix. It plumb evades me why there is a lime slice there...

IMG_2713.jpg

Somehow I managed to screw the pooch on the piccy's of the pounded tenderloin filets in the pan. I did manage to plate it up with roasted garlic mashed and sauteed brussel sprouts...

IMG_2714.jpg

Teh schnitzel! AKA, the original chicken fried steak....

IMG_2723.jpg

I just noticed the beer soup splooge on the mashed. I wondered why it tasted so good! Alas...I am back on the hippy diet....

Wow, TB thats a bunch of man-battered, chicken-fried awesomeness!!!!

Hurry up with your diet so you can get back to eating that kind of stuff all the time.

So the one thing that kept on my mind after last month's TD was that there were hardly any female folks involved. Somehow, the contest was rather one-sided, and I thought that really should change. So Sorry FD4, but you can keep your man-batter ~ ~ ~ I'm bringing THE GIRLS!

Oktoberfeist GeeMe Style

Start with crab-salad stuffed beer puffs for the appetizer.

Beer Puffs:
1 Cup beer, 1 stick butter, 1 Cup flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, cayenne powder, 4 eggs.

Preheat oven to 400F, line baking sheets with parchment paper.
In heavy saucepan, heat beer and butter just to boiling. Add dry ingreds, lower heat, and stir constantly until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat, let rest 1 min. Add eggs one at a time. Drop or pipe onto baking sheets. Bake 10 min., reduce oven to 350F, then bake 10 min. more. Turn off oven, open door, and let puffs dry until cool.

Filling for beer puffs:
Cream cheese, crab, German grainy mustard, worchestershire sauce, jalapeno, green onion, bell pepper, asparagus.

Bring cream cheese to room temp, stir in mustard and worchestershire sauce, then veggies, leaving asparagus for last. Fold asparagus in gently.
apps.jpg

For the entree, double-stuffed peppers with acorn squash beer soup:

Filling for peppers:
Shrimp, bacon, smoked sea salt, cayenne powder, cumin, garlic, red onion, bell pepper, green onion, flour, butter, cream, grated romano cheese.

Fry bacon then crumble it. Divide bacon grease. Cook onion until caramelized, add garlic, bell pepper, green onion, salt, cumin, and cook until veggies are crisp-done. In separate skillet, sautee shrimp in remaining bacon grease, with cayenne and salt. Combine shrimp and bacon into veggie mixture. In a saucepan, make white cheese sauce with butter, flour, cream, and salt, then stir in romano cheese. Pour sauce over filling and stir to combine.

Peppers:
Poblano, habanero, bratwurst, panko, pepper filling above, beer.

Cap off and seed peppers. Poke holes in tips and gently rake surface of peppers with a fork to roughen. Stuff poblanos with filling above. Stuff habaneros with a bit of bratwurst. Mix remaining bratwurst and panko to form a somewhat stiff mix. Cover poblanos and habs with brat mix, shape as desired, then place in freezer to firm the bratwurst. Line a baking sheet with foil. Preheat oven to 350F and prepare beer bath. Once beer boils, gently submerge stuffed peppers, and cook until done. Remove peppers from beer bath, then toast the outside in the oven.

Acorn Squash Beer Soup:

2 medium acorn squash, 2 Tblsp. butter, 1 med. onion diced, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne powder, 1-1/2 Cups chicken stock, 1 Cup beer, sea salt. Bacon and AJ's 7 Pod puree for garnish.

Preheat oven to 400F, cut acorn squash in half, remove seeds and string. Place squash cut-side down on parchment baking sheet. Bake until soft, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool at least 30 min.

Melt butter in large soup pot over medium-low heat. Stir in onion and cook until soft and beginning to brown, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne powder. Scoop the acorn squash from the skin and add into soup pot. Stir in chicken broth, increase heat to high, and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 min. Remove from heat and cool five minutes.

In blender, puree mixture in batches until very smooth. Return soup to pot, whisk in beer and salt. Warm to a slight simmer. Pour into serving dishes, garnish with 7 Pod puree. Add stuffed pepper to finish.

Here's the final pic of the German Venus, then a couple close-ups:
wholePlate.jpg

Just the entree:
entreeSide.jpg

And for the squeemish, the inside of a stuffed pepper that hasn't been shaped like Venus:
inside.jpg

Sorry guys, having problems posting, but I think I've got it all now!

So the one thing that kept on my mind after last month's TD was that there were hardly any female folks involved. Somehow, the contest was rather one-sided, and I thought that really should change. So Sorry FD4, but you can keep your man-batter ~ ~ ~ I'm bringing THE GIRLS!

Ha ha ha ha brilliant Geeme, wow does not look that easy to make either :)

So Sorry FD4, but you can keep your man-batter ~ ~ ~ I'm bringing THE GIRLS!

Man-batter is for girls too!!!

Great job G!!!
This is hard for me to say, but your food has the nicest nipples of any entree I have ever seen.

well done!!

Here's the final pic of the German Venus, then a couple close-ups:
wholePlate.jpg

Just the entree:
entreeSide.jpg

awesome work geeme, perfect image of a german venus , thick stoudt and boobs for the win :)

Salsalady's Tribute to Oktoberfest THP-style

In keeping with the original directive to make this a homage to Oktoberfest, Here's SL's Sauerbraten, chile mashed potatoes, chile-beer brats, sauerkraut, with pretzel sticks and chipotle-sour cream-beer dip appetizer.

Sauerbraten-
The roast marinated for 3 days in beer, cider vinegar, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, thyme, ginger, salt, pepper and hot chiles. In this picture, the roast is in the plastic bag in the middle.

oktoberfesttd1002.jpg

here's the roast after being seared in the cast iron and then simmered in the marinade with a little beef broth for 3 hours.
oktbrfsttd2001.jpg

The custom made beer brats with our own garden fresh cayenne, hungarian carrot, fatalii and 7Pod chile peppers.
oktbrfstTD1002.jpg

The appetizer is a hot roll mix made with beer and then shaped into the pretzel stick form, brushed with egg white and generously sprinkled with sea salt. Chipotle dip is made with beer, sour cream and some newly-tweaked Texas Creek Chipotle Dip Mix, a yummy blend of chipotle and spices.

oktbrfsttd2005.jpg

The rest of the dinner is-
fresh mashed potatoes with garden-fresh red Peter Peppers and butter. The gravy (in the little bowl) is made from a reduction of the sauerbraten cooking juice and sour cream with fresh pepper. And classic fresh sauer kraut with a honking big 10" chile pepper beer brat!

oktbrfsttd2006.jpg

All 3 together-
oktbrfsttd2003.jpg

and the most important.... BIER!!!!
oktbrfsttd2007.jpg

Zum Wohl, meine Freunde!

"MEIN CARNITAS, YA'LL"

Here it is...first off, the "roux" for the carnitas...a mix of scotch bonnets, fresh cayennes, jalapenos, serranos, NM green chiles (hot), and some weird white pepper that someone gave me...no heat to it...kinda sweet. There's a liberal amount of Shiner Bock Oktoberfest, garlic, onion, fresh cilantro, jalapeno salt, black pepper, chile powder, and some other stuff...I just threw in whatever I thought would go well.

thptdroux-1.jpg

Here is the overall pic.

Main - Carnitas; pork tenderloin sliced in 2" thick cuts, then halved, simmered in the roux (above) for 4 hours until they fall apart.

The borracho beans make for a nice appetizer...a lot of beer in those too, with the same peppers. Basically, you know how to make beans...just add a bunch of this stuff to the water.

The pico de gallo is half a tomato, half an onion, a jalapeno, 2 serranos, a ton of cilantro, a little lemon juice, salt and black pepper.

Now, I can say that I'm not much on the fancy food coupled with elaborate presentation...so keep in mind, this is strictly "man-food".

thptdoverall-1.jpg

A close-up of the main course:

thptdmain-1.jpg

And the salsa:

thptdsalsa-1.jpg

30 serranos
7 large jalapenos
6 scotch bonnets
9 fresh cayenne peppers
6 chilacas
1 large(ish) tomato
blanch them for a few minutes, toss in a blender, add a can of rotel, garlic and onion powder, and salt.

It was fan-damn-tastic.

"MEIN CARNITAS, YA'LL"
Awesome LB! And I love the homage to my home state! :woohoo:

Now, I can say that I'm not much on the fancy food coupled with elaborate presentation...so keep in mind, this is strictly "man-food".
(Last I checked, "the girls" were "man-food", too!) :lol:

Salsalady's Tribute to Oktoberfest THP-style
Way to BRING IT, SL!!!

And now that I'm back from my break....
Man-batter is for girls too!!!
Great job G!!!
This is hard for me to say, but your food has the nicest nipples of any entree I have ever seen.
well done!!
Aw shucks, FD4... thanks! :cheers:

awesome work geeme, perfect image of a german venus , thick stoudt and boobs for the win :)
Muchas gracias! :party:

Wow I am still full, but would love to munch on all of these!

Geeme, how did you like the EKU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back